Welcome to Overclockers Forums!
Welcome to the forums! This announcement is designed to outline how the forums work, what the ground rules are and how the forum is run. Please feel free to direct any questions to any Senior Member, Moderator or Administrator.
We want to make sure that everyone is well recieved and can feel free to participate fully at OCForums. We have a simple, fair and clear set of rules to ensure that everyone can participate together on the forums.
- Administrators oversee the forum as a whole, make structural changes to the forum layout, and are responsible for setting forum policy. They also have some limited ability to make technical changes to the site.
- iNet Interactive own and run the site on a technical level, organise and vet advertisements and pay the bills. OCForums is owned by iNet Interactive but policy is set and maintained by the Administrators.
- Moderators enforce the forum rules, ensure threads are in the correct location and help members make the most of the forums. All Moderators are Super Moderators and can manipulate threads in any area of the forums.
- Senior Members are knowledgable, experienced and level headed members who have contributed greatly to the forums. These members have no moderating authority but are an important part of the forum staff - they are the link between the members and the moderators. If you would like to nominate an outstanding member to be considered for promotion to senior please contact any moderator or administrator with who and why.
- Members are the lifeblood of the forums and make up the majority of forum users.
- Overclockers.com Content Editors are the content engine for the Overclockers.com blog. They identify content on the forums, contact members to encourage them to produce articles for the blog, and help out with editing and preparing articles prior to publishing.
- New Members are the latest addition to the forums. Welcome!
Member stars are as follows:
- 0 - 9 posts: 0 Stars
- 10 - 49 posts: 1 Yellow Star: New Member
- 50 - 99 posts: 2 Yellow Stars: New Member
- 100 - 249 posts: 3 Orange Stars: Member
- 250 - 499 posts: 4 Orange Stars: Member
- 500 - 749 posts: 5 Orange Stars: Member
- 750 - 999 posts: 6 Orange Stars: Member
- 1000 - 1999 posts: 7 Orange Stars: Member
- 2000 - 3999 posts: 8 Orange Stars: Member
- 4000 or more posts: 9 Orange Stars: Member
Return to Top
We are especially concerned that EVERYONE who comes here finds a warm welcome and is well received.
To this end, we have established over time a few simple rules which allow for a broad diversity of opinions and points of view to express themselves, without creating disharmony and ill-will. They are as follows:
- Absolutely NO personal attacks will be tolerated, no exceptions! Please report any flaming/flame-baiting to a moderator using the 'report-a-post' button (). Don't feed the trolls.
- No hard language is permitted. If you feel you absolutely must swear the use of Stars (*) can convey your feeling with out endangering your place in our forums. Saying "S***!" is allowed. Saying "YOU S***!" is never allowed, ever!!
- We do not permit advertising OF ANY KIND! This includes posting your URL, offering items for sale or trade or announcements of new sites. This applies equally to commercial and private ads. We do permit Senior Members to post their personal URLs - this is the only exception. Representatives of computer hardware companies and the like should contact mdcomp who may, at his discretion, make accommodations for you.
- This forum has a policy of tolerance and inclusion. Prejudicial language and behavior is absolutely forbidden and may result in loss of posting privileges. Racial, Sexist or religious slights of any kind are absolutely not tolerated, nor are slights against other groups based on sexual orientation, age, class, IQ, ethnicity or similar features.
- Political and religious discussions have no place here therefore they are not allowed.
- Discussion of the unauthorized reproduction, distribution, copying, or theft of copyrighted materials is forbidden. This includes, but is not limited to discussion of the use of peer to peer (P2P) applications for the purpose of obtaining copyrighted material. Discussion of P2P programs and networks is not forbidden; but there is to be no connection (stated, implied, or otherwise) to obtaining copyrighted material, or other illegal activities. ABSOLUTELY no posting of Warez (Pirated Software) or links to Warez sites. Some topics may seem like grey areas, however moderators may close a thread that threatens to delve into such areas.
- Please observe our posting rules, which includes posting in the proper section for your topic. If you aren't sure where your question belongs, General Hardware and Microsoft Operating Systems are good choices if your question doesn't fit better elsewhere.
- The management of this Forum does not condone theft, trading in stolen property, or the aiding and abetting of those who do. Any such discussions regarding stolen property will be dealt with swiftly, and the offending member risks complete loss of membership privileges in our Forums.
- Multiple user accounts per member are not permitted. One person = one account.
- Overclockers Forums assumes no responsibility for any bad deals. Buy/trade/sell at your own risk!!!! Access to the Classifieds section is restricted to members with over 100 posts for security reasons.
- Moderators reserve the right to move, edit, delete, lock, (un)stick or otherwise augment any thread or post on these forums for any reason they see fit. These forums exist for the sharing of knowledge and experience and exceptional posts/threads may be incorporated into 'sticky' threads. Moderators may also edit, remove or otherwise augment any signature, avatar or rank for any reason they see fit.
- Should it become necessary to ban someone from our forums, they are very rarely, if ever, given a second chance.
If you do not agree to any of these rules please log-off now, as your use of the forums is subject to understanding and agreeing to them.
The Original User Agreement
Return to Top
Warning to Advertisers!
If you have an article or review that you feel would be of interest to our readers, contact matt(at)overclockers.com to make arrangements. We do not allow even our Seniors to advertise their sites. On occasion we will mention/recommend one or two of their sites at a time. This is in recognition of their contributions to this Forum and the writing they have done for our Front Page.
Only Seniors of this forum are permitted to use their own sites' URL in their signature.
We feel no obligation to provide space anywhere on our site for the free use of other sites.
We deal with encroachment by banning the offender from the forums if the message can reasonably be considered advertising or SPAM. Repeat offenders will be reported to their ISP and/or relevant authorities.
Return to Top
Illegal and Unethical Posts
Overclockers Forums prohibit the promotion of, and reference to, any program or website which contains or distributes Warez, Crackz, and pirated copyrighted material, including but not limited to music and video. Discussion of Warez, crackz, and pirated copyrighted material is not permitted in this forum. Any offer to provide or request to receive warez, crackz, and bootleg material will be deleted without notice and the offender will be warned. A repeat offense is grounds for permanent dismissal, without recourse, from these forums.
This is a serious issue for this Forum. Allowing discussion of and, by extension condoning the distribution of, said information jeopardizes the very existence of this Forum. As such, it will not be tolerated. For the long-term future of this site, please abide by this rule.
In addition to this, moderator staff may at their discretion choose to edit, remove or otherwise manipulate material they feel is not of a suitable ethical standard. This is entirely at the moderators' discretion. This may include for example: use of unsecured wireless networks, threads that discuss/poke fun at/otherwise unfairly involve people, organisations or sites in areas of the forum in which they cannot defend themselves. Discussion of banned members anywhere on the forums, discussion of members without General Discussion or Classifieds access in those areas or other such threads will be removed, possibly with an informal warning. This is often difficult to establish in a concrete fashion within our framework of rules, however if we remove threads for such reasons we will often provide an explanation.
Return to Top
Avatars, Signatures and Post Quality
- Guidelines for Avatars can be found here.
- Guidelines for Signatures can be found here.
- Guidelines for Post Quality can be found here, here and here.
Return to Top
Any information collected for the registration process is used solely by Overclockers Forums to create your account and track Forum usage. Required information is a valid email address. Only the Overclockers Forums Staff has any access to this information. No information will ever be shared with outside parties.
Return to Top
We have one of the safest classifieds sections on the web, due to some very strict rules regarding entry and trading:
- 100 Quality posts are required before you can use the classifieds. The classifieds are there as a section for our members, not just for anyone passing by. Post-padding will result in a permanent ban from the classifieds.
- No soliciting or offers to sell outside of the Classifieds.
- Obey the classifieds rules (listed in all classifieds sections). Deadbeat dibbing, auction-style threads, thread-crapping and deleting sale information will earn you a ban.
Return to Top
Other Helpful Threads
Click here for the FAQs, Guidelines, and Rules thread!
Return to Top
Last Amended by IMOG: 2nd June 2010