• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

worth running

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdmcnudgent

look at my third rig in sig. it is not overclocked and it runs seti very slow, my other boxes run circles around this machine. my question is, is it worth it to keep this machine running seti? also, the update button on the p3 box does not work either. also, i have some generic ram in the box and a basic HSF, i know its not stock, and i think that the chip is oem because i dont have the retail fan, and i got this setup from A+ class. thanks.:D

Even while my p3 setup wouldn't oc it was doing a couple of wu per day(per cpu- duallie), so I'd say it is...
It won't help your average times go down, but 2 a day= 14 a week= that much closer to moving up another rank, both for you AND OCSetiTeam!

(Psst: my 1ghz Mobile Celeron laptop averages about 13 hours...and it only stops crunching when I'm on the road.)

Mine are in an Abit VP6:cool:

Right now its at about 1090mhz, but it used to do better, before a strange circumstance:
While changing cases last winter I managed to short a circuit on the mobo somehow and it burned the trace!(repaired with soldering iron and wire)
After 5 months or so, it will now oc again, but until recently it would crash if I used it for more than 2 minutes, locally; never a problem as a server on the network though. Weird!

In any case, some mobo's just won't let you oc from the factory.:mad:

Some people have had luck with OC software though: SoftFSB is the one that pops into my mind, but I think there are others- you may be able to improve things a bit that way.

When I started crunching I was using a pair of K6-2 450s and a duallie 400 though......that pc will probably crunch about as much as my entire old network!!!

a PIII 1G should good for 'bout 3WU/day. depending on the FSB. a 133FSB is, of course, much better. my PIII700@1G (143FSB) ave. 'bout 6~61/2 hr/wu.

if for me, i'll take anything but Doug's P90!!! :D

LandShark said:

if for me, i'll take anything but Doug's P90!!! :D

An update special for you Gary: the estimated completion for that thing is now 136 hours.

23 hours in and it has ALMOST 17% done.

Goes back to work monday.

Heck, I picked up two P166's from a local school district that I use to crunch. They were just gonna pitch them (well, "recycle" them) and they'd have to pay to have them hauled and recycled, so they just let me have a few. They average about 1WU every 2 days, which is about 7WU's a week. That brings my own personal farm up to 5 computers.

jazztrumpet216 said:
Heck, I picked up two P166's from a local school district that I use to crunch. They were just gonna pitch them (well, "recycle" them) and they'd have to pay to have them hauled and recycled, so they just let me have a few. They average about 1WU every 2 days, which is about 7WU's a week. That brings my own personal farm up to 5 computers.
thats cool, im always looking for free computers.:D

Back