• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I remove OCZ heat spreader?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DmdStar

I am replacing my OCZ memory with Samsung. (let's hear the cheers!)... I would like to salvage the only good part of this RAM, the copper heat spreader and put it on my Samsung RAM as I cranked the voltage on it, and well, it was expensive. :)

Can anyone tell me how to remove this stupid heat spreader? It has two metal clips that I can't seem to get off (do these come off first?) and trying to pry it apart does't get me anywhere. So... if anyone can tell me step-by-step how to get the durned thing off, I would be most greatful. It just doesn't want to budge.

Thanks!

The problem is that when you remove it the Thermal Tape may not come off cleanly thus not be able to be reused.

You can always buy more thermal tape, but its probably a better idea to just buy a new heatspreader. The tape is like $3-4 and a new copper heatspreader is about $10

careful you don't damage the chips. even a scratch can sometimes do it.

Maxvla said:
careful you don't damage the chips. even a scratch can sometimes do it.

I think he's trying to tell us that he fried his ram.
An OCZ chip, more so a dead one is not much to worry about scratching ;)
Yes I have a stick :D

memory is memory. if you can salvage the ocz stick w/o the heat spreader then you have some lower performance memory you can either sell or use in a different system.

i would never throw something away thats current technology. your just asking for something to happen to the stuff your using to replace what you just threw away.

ps. i think his ram is in fine shape.

Hmm... I just tried running my puter with this stick of OCZ after trying to pry off the heat spreader, and it wouldn't boot. Looks like I must have done something to it. Oh well. No big loss. :)

Back