• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Benchmark question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it's all memory speed buddy!!

as u can see, most top timer have insane memory speed, a.k.a. Firehawk 230(!)MHz DDR!!! and look at the benchie result, similar speed CPU, the one has faster memory speed or FSB always crunch faster!!

however, in ur case, i was wondering why too??? 3:15min w/ ur 185MHz FSB/memory speed?!! my XP @ 1.67, 166x10 could do 'bout 3:05 or so. (gonna bench it this week)

now, after memory speed & FSB, there comes memory setting that will affect ur time too!!

one thing i've noticed is, the crunching time is always related to Sandra2002's memory benchie score! it's a quite good indicator for crunch time (even tho it's not a good real world app. benchie). if u got better memory score after tweaking, u sure will crunch in shorter time.

I use cheap memory, so I have to run varying settings: some runs at high FSB at cas2, some just won't run at high fsb(only 2 sticks;) )

But high fsb is ALWAYS better! Dialing in a rig takes me a while to determine just what settings the best performance is at, but usually 5mhz fsb seems to be worth around 50mhz or more on the cpu. And higher fsb at cas2.5 or 3 is usually better than dropping fsb 20 mhz to run more agressive mem. timing.

I agree with LS on the sandra memory benchmarks too: not necessarily useful for most things, but its accurate for Seti!

Admiral Fraser said:
Its all about FSB baby... Better speeds between memory and CPU!

That's what I thought. But if you look at the results most of the fsb's aren't that high and the cpu's are kicked up higher.

I guess I'll have to run the benchmark again using a higher cpu/lower fsb to see the difference..

While we're on the subject of benchmarks and memory speed, it should be pointed out that my #1 benchmark does not disclose the actual configuration of the system. I was under NDA when I used that system, and I still don't want to say a whole lot about it, except that the cpu speed listed is correct, but the ram was something else running a good bit faster. It was a sample of an rdram platform that appears to have been dropped by Intel, but the implications are still valid. P4's will benefit from every bit of bandwidth they can get - and currently they are starved. Seti tends to make use of every bit of memory bandwidth you can provide.

TC said:
While we're on the subject of benchmarks and memory speed, it should be pointed out that my #1 benchmark does not disclose the actual configuration of the system. I was under NDA when I used that system, and I still don't want to say a whole lot about it, except that the cpu speed listed is correct, but the ram was something else running a good bit faster. It was a sample of an rdram platform that appears to have been dropped by Intel, but the implications are still valid. P4's will benefit from every bit of bandwidth they can get - and currently they are starved. Seti tends to make use of every bit of memory bandwidth you can provide.
now i know 'cos i've been wondering HOW could u get that time w/ a stock 2.2G P4 and PC800??!! 'cos by then, there's no PC1066 and even it did exist, still not good enough for ur time.

now that explain why/how!! :cool:

LandShark said:

now i know 'cos i've been wondering HOW could u get that time w/ a stock 2.2G P4 and PC800??!! 'cos by then, there's no PC1066 and even it did exist, still not good enough for ur time.

now that explain why/how!! :cool:
You missed some old threads my friend. ;)

It was anything but stock.

I remember reading something about a peltier, watercooling, a water chiller, and some "classified/no-comment/cloak&dagger" memory in that system a while back.

Needless to say, he did push it as far as anyone else could.
At least without using cryogenics.

Duh... that´s not fair :(
Weekly, Benz on top 50 cpu times, now TC in benchmark with a NDA P4 on steroids..... :mad:
LOL I´m just kidding :D
Nice to see what a P4 can do with memory speed, TC.
I want a DDRII mobo too!!!! Dual-Channel DDR will made me happy either! - for a while. Let´s say about 30 minutes till I´ll want to o/c it :burn:

yeah, can't wait for dual DDR to be arrive.....another 3~4month:( . or for now, a P4T533 w/ 512MB 4200RIMM would do me fine ;). still waiting for it to pair a 2.26b!! and i'll try again to knock TC ('s time) down :D

No water cooling or peltier on that setup - that was a stock chip, well unlocked but aside from that nothing special. The only special part was the motherboard and ram.

TC said:
No water cooling or peltier on that setup - that was a stock chip, well unlocked but aside from that nothing special. The only special part was the motherboard and ram.
is there anyway u can give us some hint how that "special ram" compare to what we have PC1066 nowaday?? how much faster??

In the neighborhood of 6GB/s throughput - sandra would score it about 5800/5700.

Yes it was very impressive, but I don't think any of the chip makers could get high enough yields to offer any volume quantities any time soon. My understanding is that Intel is dropping rambus pretty soon, so hopefully dual channel ddr will be able to ramp quickly.

TC said:
It was a sample of an rdram platform that appears to have been dropped by Intel, but the implications are still valid. P4's will benefit from every bit of bandwidth they can get - and currently they are starved. Seti tends to make use of every bit of memory bandwidth you can provide.

Wow!! If Intel "Dropped" some of that my way, I could see my devotion to AMD going out the window.

Just some rough figures on the subjct of RAM speed. With my processor running at the same speed with PC133, DDR knocked between 1.5-2 hrs off a WU. Even the diffence between CAS#2.5 and 3 with PC133 would knock off anything up to half an hour of a WU.

Last edited:
memory speed is king in seti, no doubt about that
first dual channel DDR seen on hardOCP shows it to be about the same performance as 1066 RDRAM
but thats just the start...

Back