• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bye-Bye RAMBUS!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am not a Rambus supporter or fan of them but right now Rdram is the fastest memory there is now. I haven't seen any dual DDR boards yet. As for the next memory platform coming out who knows? (I will admit that it doesn't look like Rambus is going to have any say in it though). I just wouldn't say bye bye just yet though.

I would say that article was one of the more interesting things I have read in the last couple weeks.

I don't agree...
Rambus is and will be until october/november the best mem available, and I can't and won't wait for dual ddr. I'm upgrading now, and I want my speed now :)

While RDRAM is not long for the PC market, RAMBUST still does a healthy business supplying embedded high-bandwidth DRAM solutions, such as Playstation 2.

I'm glad, however, that those greedy, unethical, cheating *******s are soon going to be out of the PC market. I can imagine the day Intel announcing their first official dual-channel DDR chipset, there will be a huge secret party put on by the JEDEC.*

*Joint Electronics Development Council (JEDEC). The nonprofit organization in charge of setting memory standards.

The things he says about ddr and dual controllers could be said the same of 32bit RAMBUS rimms now comming out . Right now the get around 3200MBs/s and most reviews shwo the 256 sticks hitting over 150 giving them around 3800/MB. If you could make a dual 32bit controller just like the 16-bit ones used in the 850 it would smoke the ddr again. I remember readin along time ago when rambus first started talking with intel, they spoke of 4-way systems with 4 memory channels. I don't know if this was just speculation proven later to be senceless, or what.

I just want more bandwidth and less multi :)

If they would just relase 64-bit RAMBUS......no no thats not going to help any. Think about it like this:

RAMBUS=Microsoft=IBM=Intel=U.S.S.R
DDR=Apple=Linux=AMD=VIA=U.S.A

DDR is "open-source" memory, so its free to use anyway you want it

RAMBUS is liscenced memory, so you must pay Rambus, Inc. to use thier technologies.

If the technology is better why woudn't you rather pay a premium price for it. Engineer's aren't going to be very inventive when there's no real "fame" or "money" involved. You think we would have any of this hardware today if all technology was just free??

And BTW i don't appreciate you assoating USA with VIA and apple:D

do you really want via to make amd's motherboards?
woudn't you rather have amd make thier own?

And i believe steve jobs and bill gates were partners when that first desktop computer was made.

Back