• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is memory the problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stoanhart

I put a computer together for a friend of mine. the specs are as follows:

Athlon Palominio XP 1900+ Cooled w/ Alpha Pal 8045
Soltek SL-75ERV Motherboard
MSI GeForce3 Ti200 128MB DDR
SB Live 5.1 Value
512 MB (2x 256) Generic PC2100 DDR RAM

We decided on the Alpha Pal 8045 because he wanted to OC his computer. He said he didn't want to OC it very much, so i figured that the 2100 DDR should do him well enough. Here's how it runs right now

1900+ stock is 1600Mhz

144*12=1728Mhz Stable
145*12=1740Mhz Almost stable (rare crashes)
146*12=1752Mhz Unstable
Anything higher Unstable

The thing is, at stock volts (1.75), i can go all the way to 144, but no matter how much I increase the voltage, even up to 1.85 v., it only makes it a little more stable. It seems to me, that the memory is holding back the OC. The temperature is fine. It maxes out at about 45C load at 145fsb w/ 1.85V core. At stock, it will idle somewhere near 32C

Would buying 2700 (Samsung) DDR Ram help things out in this case?

The memory might be the prob... BUt i think he has to unlock his CPU so he can raise the FSB... Though its a tuffy cause usually a stick of generic 2100 will be lucky to do 140FSB... Plus a non unlocked CPU will usually only get you to 140-145 but that depends on the CPU really...

I'd say try unlocking the CPU first... Though it would be smart to buy some Samsung Original PC2700 "CTL" 256MB from Newegg

Its only 72 bucks ;)

is there a FSB limit a CPU imposes? What I mean is, for example, say the 1900+ (1600Mhz) could go to 1900 actaul mhz. If I can only reach 1775 with fsb overclocking, would the cpu go higher with a different multiplyer? I fail to see how that would make a differnce, because CPUs obviously don't mind high fsbs. People who puch 190 with a lower multiplyer are still using a high fsb on the CPU

A chips limit is its limit- doesn't matter how you get there; but I would rather run a low multi any day!

I unlock all my AMDs and see just how high I can get the FSB, then adjust the multiplier to try and get the highest fsb within the cpu/mobos limits.

Cheap ram CAN be a problem, but I've had good luck: most of mine will do 170fsb! I do still have some that won't go past 150 though, so like anything you cut corners on, there is a risk.(I had one stick that just would NOT oc: 135 at cas3 was too much!!!)

My two biggest concerns with ocing a system are the mobo and power supply: Via chipsets are released too early IMO, and always have a first version(which is weak) and an "A" version, which is good.
KT133/KT133a, KT266/KT266a Always wait for the A boards:D

A weak 5v line will kill you too: I run cheapo 300w in most of mine, and they do well- but the 5v line is pretty good.
Only trouble is the range of variance I get: I've seen voltage as low as 4.78 without a crash, but nothing lower. And when I see the 4.78v is usually when its been running at 4.83 or so and I use a cd, or upload a file, etc.

Again, quality can be worth the extra $$, especially if its your only (or main) system. I do have a good psu in my workstation;)

Check the 5v readings out, and watch them when you do stuff (games, downloads, drive usage) to see how much, if any, they drop.

Well... no the CPU isint FSB limited... hehe not that anyone knows.. I dont think anyone has got that high enough.. I've heard people get to over 235 and the CPU would still be working so..

Well if you have hit the limit of that CPU and want more... Who doesn't ;)... I'd say return it if ya can or just buy a 1600+ from Newegg.com They have the latest steepings good for overclocking. For 75 bucks that thing will most likely hit 1800Ghz with some decent air cooling. Lots have got theres to 1850 or more.. Hell if i had some extra cash i'd buy one cause it would make one hell of a back up CPU.

noob question

how come the ddr rams in an athlon system only goes up to 140 fsb ? while in intel.. i see above 170 mhz.. ???

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

da_iceman wrote on 07-02-2002 01:38 AM:
how come the ddr rams in an athlon system only goes up to 140 fsb ? while in intel.. i see above 170 mhz.. ???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well it all depends on the system and ram... but most likely if the person unlocked there CPU they could lower the CPU multiplier and up the FSB way up if there ram was capable. See when the CPU sisnt unlocked when they raise the FSB what happends is they bottom out too soon on the FSB and hit the top the CPU can go MHZ wize... Heres an example.. A 2000+ which is really 1666MHz has a multiplier of 12.5 so they use 133X12.5 which is around 1666.. So when ya up the FSB to 145 (12.5x145) it will equal 1812MHz.. Whicih is right on the boarder of what most 2000+ chips will do on air cooling.. So when they try 150x12.5 it comes out to 1875 whicih will either not make it into windows without the blue screen of death or error bad trashing the registry. But... if you unlock the CPU and have a choice of multipliers you can lower your mult to something like 9 and go up to 200 FSB which would make 1800MHz.. Whicih would fly with the 400Mhz bandwith.. So you see its all in the unlocking of the CPU and having good memory..

SO when ya see someone complaining about low FSB on an AMD system it will be because he didn't unlock or he has some crappy ram.

Basically, I'm getting two responses here

1. My friend's CPU is at it's limit

2. The RAM Sucks

I'm leaning towards the second one. What do you expect from $53 (canadian) RAM. At 144 (Pretty Stable), there is a 128 Mhz over-clock, which is 8%. Compared to the 10-20% I should get out of a CPU, that sucks. My friend is looking to buy some 2700 DDR RAM from www.NCIX.com. It costs $117 Canadian. I don't think it is CLT, but at least we are guaranteed 166+ FSB.

Any more input?

Back