• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats CPU-DRAM clock ratio??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pirate252

I am reading some reveiws on RAM and this keeps showing up in the BIOS...what is the CPU-DRAM clock ratio?

Thanks all

Matt

It is a bios setting that allows you to run the memory at a asynchronous speed. In other words a different speed than the cpu's fsb is running.

OK that makes sence, but not all the way, ok for exaple a value of 5:3, or 3:5 whatever that setting is lol, what would a AMD XP1800 be running at, i think its a 266mhz, but i dont know if that doubles or anything, and what would the RAM be running at?

Thanks for your pateice with the dumb kid...

Matt

Amd 266 cpu's run at a fsb of 133mhz. The 3 would be the cpu's fsb and the 5 would be the memory. divide 133 by 3 =44.3. Then multiply 44.3 x 5 =221mhz or 442ddr.

So i am guessing the use of this setting is to make it so you can overclock your RAM without messing with your CPU, right? And then the lower you set the first number and the higher you set the second number the more of an overclock you will get on your RAM, and i also assume that there is no effect on the CPU speed correct, Thanks again!

Matt

do amd motherboards have dividers???

i thought that was exclusive to intel based boards.

oh and pirate... you start more threads than i've ever seen! whoa!

I do?...i try to anwser as many questions as i can, i just dont know on most of them, soon i will be doing more anwsering than asking i promis ;)....and sorry if that upsets you

Matt

not upset... just amazing to come back after being gone a while and see 5 more pirate threads in the same forum. lol.

Yeah, it will all pay off though, hopfully in the way of nothing going wrong when i get all my part for that system here in a month or so....

Back