• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI was crashing my computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

justmiles23

Registered
Before everyone starts sending their suggestions on how to fix my problem I am going to start out by saying that it is now fixed (for now).
With that said, this was my problem, ever since I put in my ATI all-in-wonder 7500 my computer has started to randomly reboot.
(Yes I have the newest drivers) But on Sunday it started doing it constantly, it would load all the way into WIN 2K and then about 2 minutes later would reboot. So I took SETI out of my startup folder. And it stayed up for a good 20 minutes, so I started SETI again. And it crashed after about 2 minutes. :mad: But at least I found my problem. So I took my overclock out, booted up for 10 minutes, started SETI, and it was fine. So I restarted again, put the overclock back in, started SETI after about 10 minutes, and have been up ever since.

I know, not a very interesting story, but weird none the less.

Every installation ends up being different so these kinds of one time issues do come along. It just good that you found the culprit and fixed the problem. :)

Cy

justmiles23 said:
ever since I put in my ATI all-in-wonder 7500 my computer has started to randomly reboot.
You may not be done with this problem. I am guilty of this too, but if you don't remove the old vid drivers and programs assosiated with the old vid card before installing the new video card, it can cause all kinds of trouble. You tend to end up with multiple dll files, now unused, and sometimes start up features of the old vid card are still present.

You can use a program like tweakui to safely remove the old dll files and then make sure there is nothing in the start-up for the old video card. That should cure the problem assosiated with the vid card swap.:cool:

As soon as I upgrade my hard drives I will be doing a clean install of everything to eliminate the whole old driver issue .. thanks guys

Back