• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

please convince me why to use ddr and not rdram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roYal

I'm thinking about getting the bd7-ii or the th7-ii. Convince me why i should get ddr.

Also, what is this cas2.0 cas2.5 thing i'm seeing all the time. Like corsair 3000 is 2.0, and 3200 is 2.5. Also, why do they call ddr ddr 3000, when it's actually like 300mhz.

Also, what is this 2-2-2-5, or 2-3-2-5 thing or something?

Thanks in advance.

Well, why not get ddr ;), my ddr memory do better than rdram pc800, at least thats what sisoft sandra tells me :) and the ns are low as hell compared to rdram.

For the cas 2 and cas 2.5 question, id rather give u this url http://www17.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q2/020507/index.html guess its explained alot better in english than i can do it.

The ddr 2700 3000 3200 numbers, are the numbers of the bandwith, i.e 2700 is 166mhz*2 = 333mhz, 3200 is 200mhz*2 = 400mhz, wich is getting closer to rdram performance, offcourse if u go with 1066rdram u'll have insane bandwith, but the ns are still alot lower than ddr ram.

Why i use ddr ram, well ive tried to use almost identical computers, one using rdram another using ddr ram 2700, and the ddr somehow felt faster when navigating in windows, dunno why, could be the 40ns of the rdram, could be me... just be sure the get a mobo that supports ddr 2700, because of the obvios better performance, boards with the i845g chip support theese ram, and the sis6something do to, even though i845g officially do not support ddr 2700, the bios still provides a multiplier letting the ram running theese speeds :D

Hope i help u somewhat and didnt confuse u more :)

Kingdom said:
Well, why not get ddr ;), my ddr memory do better than rdram pc800, at least thats what sisoft sandra tells me :) and the ns are low as hell compared to rdram.

For the cas 2 and cas 2.5 question, id rather give u this url http://www17.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q2/020507/index.html guess its explained alot better in english than i can do it.

The ddr 2700 3000 3200 numbers, are the numbers of the bandwith, i.e 2700 is 166mhz*2 = 333mhz, 3200 is 200mhz*2 = 400mhz, wich is getting closer to rdram performance, offcourse if u go with 1066rdram u'll have insane bandwith, but the ns are still alot lower than ddr ram.

Why i use ddr ram, well ive tried to use almost identical computers, one using rdram another using ddr ram 2700, and the ddr somehow felt faster when navigating in windows, dunno why, could be the 40ns of the rdram, could be me... just be sure the get a mobo that supports ddr 2700, because of the obvios better performance, boards with the i845g chip support theese ram, and the sis6something do to, even though i845g officially do not support ddr 2700, the bios still provides a multiplier letting the ram running theese speeds :D

Hope i help u somewhat and didnt confuse u more :)

You said, could be the 40ns of rdram. What ns is ddr? I know that the lower the ns, the faster accesses.

Don't use DDR with a P4 unless you can't afford RDRAM + accessories. the P4 was designed with high bandwidth in mind, and now with PC 1066 out, it dominates even more. Also, don't get the TH7II, its the luck of the draw for good DRCG's, go with the Asus P4T533 (not the -C) when its available, even though its $$$, its worth it, though if you plan on OCing to only 150 or so, any other 850E board will do you fine.

As for the 2-2-2-5-1 and CAS questions, Id refer you to this link :D

Very simple:

@Stock Speeds

DDR - 90% Effeceint=2100x.9~ 1.89GB/s Real World

RDRAM - 75% Effeceint=4200x.7~2.94GB/s RW
""""" """"" """""" =3200x.7~2.89GB/s RW

@150FSB

DDR - 90% Effeceint=2400x.9~ 2.16GB/s Real World

RDRAM - 75% Effeceint=4800x.7~3.6GB/s RW

@178FSB

DDR - 90% Effeceint=2720x.9~2.45GB/s RW
RDRAM - 75% Effeceint - 1066x.7~2.94GB/s RW, IF your BIOS has 3x RAM Multiplier

Id refer you here, IMHO thats worth it, there are more reviews that compare using many more benchmarks, especially application benchmarks, which matter far more than what Sandra can tell you, but thats all I can come up with on short notice ;)

Edit: and think of what you can do when you overclock that PC 1066 :eek:

-x- i score higher in 3dmark2001se with my machine with ddr2700 than he does in thoose benchmarks with rdram1066

The same gfx i just got asus instead and a p4 2.26 and a mobo with i854g chipset.

I get between 12500 and 12800 at 2.4ghz cpu speed.

Penguin4x4 said:
November. :)

Yeah, and Hammer comes out in December too :rolleyes:

and Kingdom, remember that 3Dmark scores vary with the platforms, they were comparing memory performances with the same controlled factors, except for the experimental variable (the memory) and the chipsets, which were required to change along with the memory. Its a comparison of only the memory, and also, Id like to see how overclocked PC 1066 does vs your PC 2700 ;)

If you read the tip/article linked above regarding Dual-DDR (my article :)... well kinda, overclockers.com rewrote it and made it a little less clear and also less technical) The technology should be available in november to the industry... you won't likely see boards based on Dual-DDR 400 until late 1st quarter next year... spring...

The only real advantages to DDR today are...
  • Overclockability <-- is that in the webbers dictionary? DDR is much more likely to handle FSBs over 150-160 than RDRAM
  • Cost...

DDR running at 200 MBS (Memory Bus Speed) aka DDR400 aka PC3200 or higher is the only way to go with DDR if you want to keep up with RDRAM.

lucky me i just ordered a 512mb ddr3200 then :) never heard of the manufactor though, they are named performance 3200ddr ram ? quess they are kinda crappy :/

I think they might be OCZ in a new suit :confused: :eh?: but ya never know. See how it does and let us know :)

BTW...Welcome to the Forums :D (sorry for the delay ;))

Sry, but it would be truly NOT nice, OCZ has a very very bad reputation....

And Penguin, nice chunk of plastic to hang onto uselessly for 3 months :D

Back