• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memtest errors. Should I care?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pstones578

Registered
I've been running memtest on my memory and some errors appeared on test 4. I only ran the test once as I hven't had time to do it again.

Should I care about errors on test 4?

I will re-run the test later to see if the same results appear.

--
FSB = 133
Ratio = 4:2:1
Multiplier x12
Speed Error Hold = disabled
Enhance for benchmark = disabled

mobo Abit KX7-333r
Athlon 1900+
Micron PC2100 256meg
BIOS settings set to default except for RAID which is DISABLED

The short answer is: yes.

If your memory is a little bit flaky, you will get slowly creeping hard disk corruption. Eventually, maybe tomorrow, maybe in a year, something important like ntkern will get corrupted. That is not a good thing.

You should definitely Prime95 the hell out of your memory too. When I buy new memory I always test *each dimm* out for about 5 hours with a Prime95 torture test at whatever my settings are. If I change my CAS settings in BIOS, I test with Prime95 again.

Computers run so fast now that if you don't do this, you could trash your Windows installation really fast. Oh yeah, and never set your tRAS below 6! :)

Thanks for the reply. I've changed the memory a few times and still get errors. The errors are now in the higher numbered memtests than the lower (1-3) ones. Is crucial memory gauranteed to be error free? I'm just wondering where to go for reliable stuff seeing as my supplier seems to have a lot of buggy stuff.

Back