• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

duron vrs. celeron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xanthan

Disabled
i am trying to get a 2nd computer running Seti 24/7 but am a little discouraged by my celerons performance.
my duron 1.2 is averaging 5.2 hours per WU i am not sure if thats good, bad or ugly but seems ok to me hehe, my celeron 1ghz takes over 9 hours and my celeron 733 takes over 11 hours......it just doesnt seem worth it to even run it for such poor results. i keep reading how people are running old P 233 or P2 300 etc. are those taking a week to finish a unit ?? hehe.

i dont get why a celeron thats only 200 mhz slower takes almost 2 times as long to complete a WU...
i was thinking of buying new celeron chips for my soyo MB's but the cost is double that of a faster duron but if i want to go to durons i have to buy new MB and ram etc. making it even more expensive hehe.

xanthan said:
i keep reading how people are running old P 233 or P2 300 etc. are those taking a week to finish a unit ?? hehe.

My P2 266's pump out a unit every 17-20 hours, there not blazing fast but there much faster that i had hoped. :burn:

It's because of the architecture of the two chips, and the amount of cache they have. The tualatin celerons are great because you essentially getting what used to be called the pentium 3 with a full 256K of cache. Unfortunately for you the only way to get the new "celerons" to run is with an adapter from powerleap. Once you pay for all of that you might as well buy a new socket a motherboard.

My celeron 1.2 in the sig averages about 5h per WU. My duron 1.1 at 1266 and DDR does then in 4h10m. Get the Duron.

{PMS}fishy said:
My celeron 1.2 in the sig averages about 5h per WU. My duron 1.1 at 1266 and DDR does then in 4h10m. Get the Duron.
with DDR too!!

oh, btw, we said Duron, u know we actually means Morgan core right!!

Last edited:
Back