• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VNC and SETI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deez

I just put WinVNC on my boxes at home and its pretty sweet. No need for KVM or extra monitors, keyboards etc... Just run the VNC viewer on your main box and run the service on the others and you have complete remote desktop control. Thought it might be useful for some team members.

For more info go here http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/winvnc.html

Works great unless you need to get into the bios. I've been using it for quite a while.

Thanks for the tip on this program, I'm gonna go see about downloading it now. I will post back on results and/or questions.

VNC is the best.
Except when tweaking bios or installing a new os I don't even have to go to the basement to mess with the other rigs.

And you just can't beat the price;)

I'm going to be setting VNC up so I can check things over the Internet as well- anyone done this and have pointers to offer?

hey this program is great, ive been looking for a free program that would do this for me. :) Though it is pretty laggy, anyone know how to speed it up?

I use it, and it works great.

Only PC I get "laggy" on, have a NIC that doenst like running at the OC speed of the machine.

I would change the NIC, but, if it aint broke..... :)

Besides, that would take away about 10 minutes of SETI CPU cycles. :eek:

hrrrm owell as long as i dont browse files and whatnot (which i can just do with MS filesharing) it is fine, i can check seti progress and free up ram with ram idle etc etc...

I just recently got this up and running as well. SpeeDj was a great help with this btw.
My only question about it, is there a way to set it up so you can view several computers off the same router over the net?
Yea know, like how you do with one, but then be able to log out of it, then into another?

I used to use VNC. That is until I got WinXP. WinXP has Remote Desktop built into it. Remote desktop is far superior to VNC, give it a shot and you'll see what I mean.
All you have to do is enable it on the machine you want to access, and install the client on the maching you'll be connecting with. The client can be installed from the menu that comes up when the XP CD autoplay's. Also the client can be used with any version of windows, whihc is deffinatly nice. I access my home system from school all the time :)

Small drawback there. I dont want to have to install extra stuff on extra systems. Like ones that are not mine. With VNC, I can get into it over the net with JAVA based browsers.
So, granted, that might work, but without installing more stuff, its not an option, so IMO, out of the question.

Yeah I agree, for your needs VNC is the better option.
Play around with Remote Desktop sometime if you have the chance. It's really nice, and runs a whole lot smoother than VNC.

i've been trying to setup remote desktop on all of my WinXP rigs. hwoever, everytime when i tried to log onto a machine, it asked for user name & password. i type in the one that's on the remote machine, doesn't work.....:(

btw, that account is already logged on, and i'm use the same user name in all the rigs. if that help.....:rolleyes:

gotta say i love VNC
i can access both my machines on my LAN via my net gateway
i log into my net connect pc's VNC. then from there log into my other machine through that ;)

i'm always surprised how few people actual know about vnc. its been around for a while. i use it at work to troubleshoot users' machines without getting up from my desk.

sure, its not the best remote control solution out there, but its broad compatibility makes up for that.

i use it all the time over the lan (which is fast and behind several firewalls), but i wouldn't use vnc over a wan connection. it's not really well suited for it when it comes to screen update speed and security features.

there are many features in vnc that can only be set by editing the registry. one that i use is the "AuthHosts" entry to limit the ip addresses of the machines allowed to connect to vnc. this would be a good idea if you are accessing a vnc machine from a fixed ip address, or you can at least limit it to the address range of your isp. another good one is the "AllowShutdown" option. nice to keep other users from being able to shut vnc off. :)

more here under "Advanced Options":

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/winvnc.html

since i manage multiple machines running vnc, i have found this program to be very helpful to keeping track of them:

http://www.chronetal.co.uk/vncon/

it adds a nice "kvm-like" auto-switching feature and easier log-on to each machine. i use an older version of it myself, so i can't comment on this new version, but it looks similar.

there are now some commercial offshoots of vnc that allow greater security and other features. i have not tried any, but this one looks promising:

http://www.tridiavncpro.com/

Last edited:
Back