• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ack a rogue WU!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Demont

i have this WU crunching right now that is going to take 4 days to finish according to seti driver.... what the heck my average on this machine is 5 hours or so. can i skip this WU somehow, i think its broken...

Have you tried restarting the SETI client, or even your PC?

Something's not right there if it's being run on the rig in your signature.

Also, have anything running in the background that's using alot of cycles?

I recommend stopping the WU.
Do a reboot, and reinstall the client.

If its still 4 days, then something could be wrong with the WU.
I like to eliminate my PC before blaming a WU.
Every now and then, you will get a "bad" one, but doenst happen too often.

I have this happen occasionally. Mostly on the laptop. Sometimes on a real machine. Something else frags and eats up processing power. Rebooting always fixes it for me. Sucks catching it too late after it's already eaten a day of crunching time, though.

Yeah, I've had problems before where IE crashes. It's not longer showing in anyway, but if I look at the processes running it's in there taking up 99% of my CPU time.
A reboot is deffinatly the first thing to try

update: ok ive tried rebooting and restarting the WU etc. I'm still getting problems but not quite as severe (15 hours estimated time!) ive noticed something running called 'setiathome-3' it seems to be another instance of seti running or something, i've seen up to two of these at once in addition to the normal seti driver and setispy. i am going to reinstall right now i guess, but someone tell me if they have seen this or what these extra processes are.

Demont said:
update: ok ive tried rebooting and restarting the WU etc. I'm still getting problems but not quite as severe (15 hours estimated time!) ive noticed something running called 'setiathome-3' it seems to be another instance of seti running or something, i've seen up to two of these at once in addition to the normal seti driver and setispy. i am going to reinstall right now i guess, but someone tell me if they have seen this or what these extra processes are.

That happened to me today too. I had two Seti drivers running at once. Don't know how the other started. I rebooted and started over. Running ok now.

hrm in my seti folder there are 3 directories, named 1 2 and 3. they have all the same .sah files as the main directory...what is up with this? is this related?

[edit] oh i see this is because i have a cache of 3, hrm wonder if setting that to 1 will fix this stuff [/edit]

Last edited:
Demont said:
hrm in my seti folder there are 3 directories, named 1 2 and 3. they have all the same .sah files as the main directory...what is up with this? is this related?

I think those are for cached w/u. Is your cache set to 3?

craigiz1 said:

I think those are for cached w/u. Is your cache set to 3?

hehe good call, don't know which one of us wins the prize, i edited my post in the same minute you posted this :D

UPDATE:

update: ok running good now, i did not reinstall seti i just deleted my 3 cache folders. I then set my cache back at 1. So, either my problem was fixed by deleting the bad WU, OR somehow my cached WU's were all trying to run at the same time. My guess is the latter, convienantly i have dedicated connection so no cache isnt a big deal. Strange/Interesting

Re: UPDATE:

Demont said:
update: ok running good now, i did not reinstall seti i just deleted my 3 cache folders. I then set my cache back at 1. So, either my problem was fixed by deleting the bad WU, OR somehow my cached WU's were all trying to run at the same time. My guess is the latter, convienantly i have dedicated connection so no cache isnt a big deal. Strange/Interesting

You don't have to, but it's a good idea to keep enough in the cache to keep your system going when Berkley's servers are down and we can't re-supply the stock. Figure what your machine can crunch in a day and multiply times 5.

I keep a cache of 25 on all my machines standard... doesn't matter if it's one of my P166's downstairs in my farm or my P4, they all have 25WU's. I used to keep 50 when Berkeley had those bad connectivity problems a few months ago but I reduced my cache when they got the dedicated line up. I too recommend a cache of AT LEAST 5-10 WU's in case of a short bandwidth outage.

cache good, i understand. but its working now and i dont wanna rock the boat =) Ill probably reinstall some other time, too lazy now.

You were probably good after the reboot. The 15 hour estimated time for completion would have been accounting for the slow progress from before the reboot and the estimate would have decreased as the WU progressed.

Whenever SETIDriver transmits or receives a WU, it spins up another SETI CLC process which is closed after the process is completed.

Back