• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockers Seti team as a Non-Profit Organization?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beau_safken

I have been thinking about this. Lots of you out there have Farms of computers from either your own wallet or from donations right. Well I was thinking if we could apply to be a non-profit organization then we could do what the salvation army does for the......um ummm our own organization. We could allow people to donate computers that would normally be stored or thrown away(God forbide) and use them for SETI research. They would be able to use the donated machine as a tax write off and I believe we could massively increase our computing power by using all those donated machines. Just a thought..........Would save us money and increase our computing power............

I have "saved" two P166 machines from a landfill. I needed to upgrade the ram in both in order to SETI with good times, but right now they are both dedicated crunchers under my name. I got them from a local school district. Generally if you see a corporation ditching machines, you can ask them for a couple and they'll be happy to unload them on you, because they have to pay to have them properly disposed of.

Back