• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mixed memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peewee

is it ok to mix memory sticks?. i have a stick of noname in my computer now and want to get 256 ontop of it?.. can i mix them ?

yes you can mix them as long as there the same...i.e SDRAM, DDR, or RDRAM. You are only as fast as your weakest link so if you ahve PC1600 and PC2100 you have to run your memory at the hgihest speed the PC1600 can go (usualy the PC1600 will be the slowest however if you bought noname PC2100 but good PC1600 then your gonna be as slow as the PC2100...) same thing goes for PC2700 and PC2100...basicly find out which stick is the worst and that's as high as all of em combined can go.

peewee said:
is it ok to mix memory sticks?. i have a stick of noname in my computer now and want to get 256 ontop of it?.. can i mix them ?

its actually pc133 memory.. its just a work computer so i dont need real fast... tho now i see ddr is cheaper.!

Back