• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can running seti and folding at the same time be dangrous?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woods

I could not decide where this one should be posted so here it goes. will running both programs cause instablility or cause errors? I ask this because since Ihave been doing this IE will lock up sometimes. it did not do this before.

Post once. Two threads in two topics is not the way we do it around here

More than anything it will just cause both programs to run very slow.

it shouldn't affect ur normal stability or crashing ur PC BECAUSE of running both 2 clients at the same time.

it seems like it's more ur PC's stability problem, nothing to do w/ both 2 clients.

It shouldn't cause any stability problems, and when I tried it there was no impact on my Seti times.....but Folding got almost no cpu cycles: the Folding work units were timing out and not able to be submitted.

Seti gets the cycles first and leaves none for Folding it seems.

split

v3 of the folding console allows you to set a higher priority so the Folding Wu's get half the cycles.

I've tried this again- for the third time!
And once again the same conclusion is reached: Seti and folding do not get along well together! Seti, even at the lowest priority, will grab almost all the idle cpu cycles before Folding has a chance at them.

Another suggestion was made by a member of both teams: to try using a duallie and dedicate one cpu to each client: I am going to try this tonight and see how that works out.....

I also agree with these guys...SETI does a pretty good job of using all the CPU cycles and giving none to folding even if you set the priority higher for folding.

Back