• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

danger danger!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woods

Is it dangerous to my memory to run it past its rated speeds? At what point beond its rated speed does it start to do damage?

thank you. I just wanted to be sure before I went crazy with th FSB. (My temps went down another 4* under full load WOO HOO!) I tested it through sandra and got a bunch of warnings about my FSB being to high for my ram.

can you melt ram? ive never seen it done before. it usually will crash your system before it does anything.

hmm.

Well I am about to find out.:D Hey, is there program that can give you ram temps or will i have to messure them manually?

Maxvla said:
can you melt ram? ive never seen it done before. it usually will crash your system before it does anything.

hmm.

Heheh maby ill find some pics for u :D

There is no program that I know of to measure ram temps. Stability will be non-existant before you can do damage to your ram due to its temps... unless your voltage is extreme...

If by manually, you mean frag-tapeing a comp-u-nurse probe to it, then I might try that.

Maxvla said:
can you melt ram?

I'm sure by setting the vdimm voltage at 3.2-3.5 volts instead of 2.5 it would melt and fry without really good ramsinks and airflow.

RAM doesn't get nearly as hot as a CPU does. You don't have to worry about frying your RAM through FSB settings, although a really high voltage could fry it, or at least limit its lifespan. I don't think that you need to monitor your RAM temps, as you can tell if its clocked too high by stabilty, and I'm not sure if the temps would really corrolate to stablity as they do with a CPU. I'm by no means an expert at RAM, but this is what I've heard.

Back