• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So where's the beef?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KenCo

Short version - I've got 5 computers crunching and only a single internal DSL modem and I don't have a lan set up, yet.

Long version - I cached a bunch of WU's (several hundred) on each computer about 4 weeks ago. I was planning on getting a lan set up so that I could transmit them without having to take the modem in and out of each machine (I figure the more I take it in and out the higher the chance that I'm gonna fry it with static or by doing something stupid) but the weather has been so hot that I've been avoiding doing anything with the computers other than letting them crunch (slightly overclocked but undervolted). Now I'm thinking I'd like to find a router with a built in DSL modem. It will probably take me at least two to three weeks to find what I want and have it delivered and get it set up. So I'll probably just go ahead and do the manual computer to computer switch with the internal modem once more. That will happen next week when we get back from our vacation (leaving Wednesday).

I've been stuck in the mid 700 range for the last 4 weeks and I just wanted to assure everyone who might have wondered just what the heck all the computers in my sig were up to that they are contributing to the team!

By the end of next week I should break into the top 200. ;)

If you alreday have the DSL modem, there is no point in getting one with a built in Router. Just get yourself a 4 port router (SMC Barricade) for $75 and if you need more ports than that get a switch. You will be much better off that way. DSL routers and modems with 1 port are over $100 and the 4 port modems are around $150 I think. Stick with what you have.

If you happen to be running XP on one of your machines it has a built in router, you just need to add a NIC card along with your internal modem then use the Wizard to configure it. Get yourself a switch, plug it into the NIC in your DSL machine then plug the rest of your PC's into it. If you don't have XP you can use a program like SyGate to do the same thing. There's more information about it at http://practicallynetworked.com if you poke around their site.

To follow along with mjones post- any windows version since 98se has ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) which is a passable proxy software. I've setup proxies in the past and they work fine, but use a few system resources too......

I'd say go the separate router route (a bit of alliteration there;) )
as well: no pc resources used, and most of them include a basic NAT firewall. Pretty cheap too, and you'll be able to change modems much cheaper for future upgrades as well.

You say you have several hundred w/u's cached on each machine? I'm not 100% sure, but I think I remember reading that there is some type of time limit on when a w/u should be returned. You should try to find out if it is true or be sure you can crunch that many in reasonable amount of time. :)

craigiz1 said:
You say you have several hundred w/u's cached on each machine? I'm not 100% sure, but I think I remember reading that there is some type of time limit on when a w/u should be returned. You should try to find out if it is true or be sure you can crunch that many in reasonable amount of time. :)

Nope no time limit.

ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) which is a passable proxy software.

It's actually a NAT router program that does the same thing with software that a router would do. Win XP has a firewall built in just like the router would too, I don't know if it works as well but it's there. Using a software solutions does come at the cost of using some system proccesses of course, I was just offering up a cheaper alternative to get him going. Thanks for reminding me 98SE, ME, and W2K have it also. :D

His other issue it looks like is he has an internal DSL modem which means he'd have to fork out cash for a new external modem along with an 8 port router and/or a 4 port router with an additional switch so he can hook up all 5 machines.

They are all running 98SE. I was thinking about putting the higher end systems on a 4 port router/modem combo and putting the internal modem in the PII. The possiblility of a router with a built in dsl modem was just an after thought, it would be a more compact setup. Not sure about other advantages/disadvantages. I know I don't want to dilute my crunching power with the software option! ;)

Thanks for all the input. ;)

Back