• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

crappy ram performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nforcer

What can i do to increase my ram performance?

here is my setup right now:

abit IT7
p4 2.26 o/c 2.83 [166*17]
samsung 2700 2 sticks of 512MB
1:1 (166:166)
alpha 8942
memory is at cas 2,5,3,3

i ran sandra and got 1890 in ram bandwidth and doesnt really even compare to any of the better performing rigs out there

need some pointers for sure i think!

just curious you wouldn't happen to be running win98,98se, or winME would you? because thoose 3 operating systems cannot handle memory over 512mb efficiently, so if you are running thoose operating systems. remove 1 stick and rebenckmark and let us know.

no luck

There isnt a setting in there for that

man.....i dropped back down to stock speeds (2.26 @133/133) and got better sandra scores of 2100 then i did when it was overclocked to 2.83g @166/166

wtf?

something strange is going on for sure!

that is definately wierd, hmm you should try to overclock it again (in smaller increments) and benchmark sandra as you go up to see if your hitting a wall somewhere, it may be easier to fix your prob that way.

ok so i clocked it back up to 2.83 with mem @ 166:166 (1:1)

put the cpu vcore at 1.7
put the mem volt at 2.6

put the mem time @ 2,6,3,3

and got a sandra score of 2510 this time

beats me whats going on

the only thing i did different that i can think of is instead of using the dram / cpu set to by spd i set it manually to 1:1

i dunno

the way my system is going though i dont think i will get much more over stock speeds out of this ram - feels like it was a bad batch or something

i havent tried to push it yet but 2.83 at 166 is only about 95% stable - sandra can run etc etc

but i still will get the avg error or so

I'd lower your fsb a bit if your getting instability try going down in 2mhz increments if you can till it's stable and if your mobo isn't ddr333 compatible (hence doesn't have a 1/5divider) your pci bus speeds are running way outta spec, this leaves you prone to hard drive corruption, (either right away, or the prob will sneak up on you slowly, then one day boom! reformat time!), don't be discouraged, I think your 2 sticks are your limiting factor, the more sticks of ram you have in your system the harder it is to get high overclocks, you could try to take 1 out and see how it goes to tell if you got a bum set of ram.

its an abit it7 and i can lock the pci / agp bus at 33/66mhz

so no worries there

i think it is my crap ram limiting me as well......i got burned i guess

oh well i suppose nothing is for sure =)

im pretty sure i can get 2.8 to be stable.....ive done some burn tests and nothing so far - i wish i could lower the vcore to 1.6 or so to reduce my heat a bit

thanks for all your replies by the way !!

Well I hope you can get her to where you want it! no problems I enjoy helpin out when I can, plus it's always nice to help out a fellow canadian eh!

so when would the 3/4 or 4/3 divider come in handy?

ive just been using 1/1 so far

i think with the proper settings i can hit 3ghz

how is calgary?? im in london ontario and its humid and kind of crappy outside!

ok heres the dividers to the best of my recolection!

1/1 (example fsb133/mem133
3/4 (example fsb133/mem166
4/3 (example fsb166/mem133

1/1 is the proper setting for any fsb over 133! Calgary is ok, it stormed like hell last night, kinda warm today, but it doesn't matter to me I have an 10,000 btu a/c cooling my puter and my room!

well i guess my ram just need time to work itself in

i have samsung chips on generic pcb......so i was a little skepticle

but it seems the more gradual i work up the better it gets -

im running at 2.56ghz right now but my ram is set to DDR400 spec!

150fsb with a 3:4 divider makes my ram 200mhz !!

the dram volt is at 2.9 (maybe a little high) gonna try and move it down to 2.8

my cpu is at 1.6v (probably going to move it down to 1.575)

ram timing is 2.5,6,3,3 i think i can get it to go 2.5,5,2,2

we will see though

my case temp is unusually high though 34 while my ambient temps are around 25 or 26.

i guess that 8Z bios did help as i dont think i could have hit DDR400 before.

lates

glad to hear your success! personally I would lower your ram voltage if you can, seeing as your ambients are getting quite high your ram could be damaged by runnin high voltages with little cooling, personally I wouldn't reccomend going over 2.8v for extended time periods if you value your ram, overvolting ram is a tricky and dangerous buisness, some blow thier ram the second they overvolt it, and some blow thier ram a month down the road, to me my 200 dollar investment in my corsair ram is not worth risking, also I have no need to up the ram voltage, and if you get good enough ram you shouldn't have to worry either, well signin off for now, gotta work early :(

Back