• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, Linux is killing me.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{PMS}fishy

I just set up RedHat 7.2 and I am on Konqueror right now. I cannot figure out how to set SETI up on this machine. This is really the first time that I have played around with the Penguin. I am not sure that I downloaded the correct client, so if someone could point me to that, it may help. I unzipped the files and it shows a file called "setiathome" and its executable, but being the first time on Linux I cannot get it to do anything. Please help me before I kill this machine.

Log into the shell, cd over to the dir you extracted the files to and type ./setiathome

I think there is a switch to type for first time setup, tho off hand I don't recall off the top of my head. By typing the above exactly as I have you will run the exe.

Hope this helps a bit, the how to is in Alternative OS. In the sticky David put together.

J :cool:

LOL I remember the feeling. In linux extensions don't mean anything like they do in windows. Different file types are represented by different colors in most distros. Executables are run by putting a ./ in front of them. As for seti just do what Speed said. You can also make the folder and executable more friendly by renaming them. It really ticked me off when I found out that you can't unzip something without it retaining that long a** name. However once unpacked you can rename the seti folder by using "mv setiathome3.03-gnublablabla YourNewName" For instance "mv setiathomexxxxx seti" You can use the same command on the excutable to shorten it to just "seti" or whatever you want. Also I use seti queue, and if you don't want to have to type "./seti -nice 19 -proxy 192.168.1.5:5517" every time you start it, you can make a simple script. If you're interested I'll show you how.

I just thought of something else that might help you. If you chose to use the graphical login you'll always boot up to X windows. You can open a terminal window in your X window desktop and start seti, but you'll have to leave that window open to keep seti running. If you close it, or log out of X you shutdown seti. Here's a little tip. In linux you can open multiple sessions at the same time. Try hitting ctrl alt and one of the F keys F2-F6. You should be presented with a text login. You can login and start doing something else while your other X window session is still going. The default X session is usually F7, so when you're ready to go back to the window just hit ctrl alt F7 and you'll be back there. The point is if you boot to X windows hit ctrl alt F2 and login, then change to your seti directory and start seti, then just hit ctrl alt F7 and you'll be back at the windows session, and seti will continue to run in the other terminal. You can verify that it is running by hitting ctrl alt del (like you would to bring up task manager in windoz) and kde will present you with the list of running processes. Alternatively at a command line you can type "top" and you will get a list of processes, cpu usage, mem usage, etc.

I fell asleep before I had a chance for you guys to respond. I have it running now, and it connected to my windows machine and DL the WU. Oh I am so happy, thanks SpeeDj and TC.

Hey TC lets see that script. Its running in a knosole window right now. I want to try that script so I do not have to type in all this nonseses every time. Well lets see how this P2 you sent me can do. Oh and its a 400.

This is about as simple a script as you can imagine. Open any of the text editors and type this:

#This script starts the seti client.

./seti -nice 19 -proxy 192.168.1.5:5517

Save the file in your seti directory. You will then need to make it executable by typing:
chmod +X NameOfFile

If you're not in the seti directory when you type that command you'll have to include the path. I named my script "run" and my seti folder is in my home directory, so the command would be:
chmod +X /home/Tim/seti/run Now all I type to start seti is ./run and it starts it with the proxy switch and nice 19 (which is like the low priority setting in seti driver) so that it's only using spare cpu cycles when the system is doing other things.

I would suggest you get the samba rpm package and install that so you can share files over the network between the linux box and your windows machines. If you need a link to the smaba rpm let me know. Once you download that you can double click on the file from within X windows and red hat will automatically install it. Once installed you will need to edit the smb.conf file found in /etc/samba. I can give you a sample of mine to get you going. Once that's done you can access the shared folders from your windows system in network neighborhood. You can also map a windows drive to a folder on the linux machine. For example I have a folder on my linux server called "share" and if I want to share my laptop files in that folder I type this at a command line:
mount.smbfs //laptop/c$ /home/Tim/share -o username=Tim
when you hit enter you should be prompted for the password of the account on the windows system you're trying to share.

Last edited:
If you run the WinNT Seti client in WINE, you will get much faster times. I went from 4:25 for a unit using the linux client to 3:25 using the WinNT client in WINE... and it is faster that way than on windows lol.

I have wine installed on my linux server, but I haven't tried using it. Do you just download the windows client and run it, or is it more involved than that?

Wine is an entirely confusing program made to screw with your mind. It is pretty confusing to set up and run, but getting the seti client running is fairly easy once Wine is configured.

The alternative OS forum has a good tutorial in the stickies. If it isnt there, try doing a search. I had one going awhile back.

Back