• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP's and ddr ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sabwafare2001

Registered
Is it absolutly necessary to ddr ram with these processors? If not, how would the performance of the cpu be with pc133 sdram?
Will a Athlon 1800+ perfom at 1.53 or will its speed decrease?

ECS K7S5A [1/12/2k2]
AMD Athlon T-Bird 1.0Ghz
384MB PC133
80GB IBM
Lite-on 24x10x40
Lite-on dvd 16x
Video Magic 64mb
400W power supply

Last edited:
You will notice a big difference between DDR and SD RAM. While the clock speed of the CPU will not be affected, the rate at which the RAM can transmit data to it will be decreased. Therefore, a bottleneck will develop at the RAM, hurting performance. In other words, the performance of the entire system will be held back by the RAM. Get DDR if you can afford it. Its not absolutely required, but if you want decent performance, its worth the $$$.

You're gonna want to run DDR with your XP... they are optimized for high-bandwidth applications. It won't hurt to run PC-133, but you'll be holding back quite a bit of performance.

Yeah but depens what situation you are in, I could only afford to upgrade my mobo or cpu, so i went from d900-xp1700, and overclocked to my sig i get pretty good performance, but admittedly i will be upgrading when hammer turns up, depending on what happens there.

Also, there is no better time than now to switch over to ddr considering ddr and sdram prices are pretty much on par and of course with ddr you will get much better performance.

DDR SD-Ram still only provides a mild increase in performance over SD-Ram. The performance difference between the two just isnt worth it if you already have a good SD-Ram combo setup.

On another note, DDR400 would begin to stretch this gap far enough to justify an upgrade for most users that are running AMD Athlon based PCs.

Using DDR266 memory, a XP1800+ system is up to 10% faster than its comparable SD-Ram counter part and on average scores 3~4% faster overall. DDR333 widens the gap another 1%.

DS-Master

Where are you getting your numbers from???

Sdram at 150FSB is only at like 700 something bench in Sandra..
where as a stick of just 2100=133 will do somewhere like 1800 in Sandra..

Now your talking 2700 whicih is 166x2=333 will give ya a score of 2400-2500 depending on your timings... meaning max timings will give ya 2500...

Theres a huge difference there! You'll only see it if ya run the CPU FSB equall to your mem... Meaning if your ram is hallin at 166 and your CPU is also running at 166 meaning sync then your gona feel it! Not if your CPU is chumpin away at 133 and your ram is doing 166.. Run Sync and FLY!

Now imagine a FSB of 180-200 sync... THats either 360-400MHz... With sandra scores of 2800-3000+...talk about blowing that SDRAM out of the water!

I'd run the computer anyday with that bandwidth over SDRAMs bandwidth.

Get a KT333 chipset motherboard and slap some good DDR ram in her. Also run a XP chip too... That way it can handle the extra bandwith to play with unlike the older TBirds.

Knownkiller

Just for reference my scores in sandra are as follows:

cpu arm: 4541, 2271
cpumm: 9013, 10469
Mem: 1143, 1133
that is with fsb@155, also cas2. 1705mhz.

I can have it up @1728mhz, fsb157,mem cas3:
cpuarm: 4764, 2386
cpumm: 9468, 11005
mem: 1204,1191.

That and my highhest load temps were 43 degrees on air cooling.

Now can you understand why I am thinking about just waiting for hammer when I can get decent performance out of my current setup.

I keep it at 1705 for stability reason as you can imagine.

Oh ok i forgot with the SDRAM when i benched it back when i turned off some buffering thing.

To each his own... But hammer might not be anytime soon.. So i hope ya can wait a year or so.

Yeah here's hoping it aint too far in to the future, cause if not it comming out by the start of next year than I will have to do something else.

yeah thats right.an athlonxp on ddr333 has over 3 time the memory bandwidth than one on sdram. (that poor chap running an athlonxp on sdram is actually me.so yes, i know the difference it makes!)

Last edited:
Back