• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgraded!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lonewolf1983

im now on a p4 1.8a at 2.4ghz with 256mb of crucial pc2100@pc2700 speed
on an epox 4sda
what sort of voltage is considered safe?

havent completed a whole WU yet, been testing and video encoding since i got it, but a benchie will be done soon.

:burn:

Sweet man. . . Still got the Morgan as a second cruncher? Anything beyond 1.75v or something or even 1.7v I woud consider dangerous as Northwood tend to die at high voltages.

I'd stay below 1.75. I killed a 2.2A by running 1.85 actual for just 2 months. Sounds like a nice system. That's a sweet mobo - very tweakable.

good to hear that, lonewolf!!! :beer:

i would say try to NOT go over 1.75v. and that's w/ a high end air cool!!!

btw, i'm sorry but i'll send u the stuffs later on this week. been quite busy.....

Great job:cool: Those do make nice little crunchers. Have you tried any higher on the overclock yet. My 1.6a will run 2.4ghz at default vcore but trashes windows registry anything over 155fsb. So I just leave it at 150fsb and is the most stable system I have here in my farm.

Sweet! One of these days I've gotta get me a P4.....of course by the time I do they'll be up to p5 or 6:D

Congrats on the new rig- may it treat you well!

the 'a' suffix is for northwoods with a 100mhz bus
the 'b' suffix is for northwoods with a 133mhz bus

so essentially i turned my 1.8a into a 2.4b :D

yodums, nah had to sell the morgan, but am keeping the bp6 and dual cellies ;)

i was after memory voltage recommendations btw...
my cpu was on 1.6v, but ive knocked it down to 1.5v without hassles.
im going to try and overclock a little further, but i dont think my crucial will go any higher than 166, so overclocking the fsb would mean dropping the mem ratio.
what would be better a faster cpu and slower ram, or slower cpu, but faster ram??

and thanks landshark, whenever is good! :)

i would prefer fast memory/slow clock speed most of the time, especially on P4s!! as u should know, and proof from TC, P4s can eat any memory bandwidth (all the way up to "at least" 6000 score of Sandra :eek: )!! unless we r talking 'bout at least a couple hundreds MHz.

and most of the time, faster cpu means "only" another 10MHz or so FSB increase, right?! but losing the memory ratio, u r talking 'bout like 20~30MHz of memory lose!!! that's killer for a P4!!!

both of my P4 is running 4:5 ratio and i didn't bother to set it back to 1:1 for higher clock speed! take a look at the benchmark page and notice the P4s time. the faster the memory speed, the faster the WU time!! and that's why i'm still holding/thinking 'bout a DDR board pair w/ 2.26b that i'm gonna get. 'cos at/close to 3GHz, FSB is 175 or so, but even w/ 4:5, memory would be running at 218Mhz+!! and i don't think i'm as lucky as Firehawk to get some stick that could do 220+.

btw, i think u could do a bit faster than 2.4GHz, since u r "only" at 1.5~1.6v. try up it to 1.7v and see if u can do better.

good luck!!

Memory bandwidth is everything for P4's. With the long pipeline it's critical that you keep things flowing with fast ram. It helps reduce the hits from mispredictions and so forth.

Back