• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie ram question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bunyip

I'm building my first computer soon and trying to figure out the RAM situation. I plan to try overclocking eventually and I'm inclined to think that 512 MB of brand name DDR is the way to go.

I will probably be getting a Gigabyte 7VRXP mobo and I need to know what to consider when buying the RAM. Cost is definitely a factor. Here are a few questions, but feel free to send any info my way that I don't even know enough to ask about yet.

PC2100 or PC 2700? I am under the impression that PC2700 with CL2 is still pretty expensive, so PC2100 would give me a better price/performance ratio.

One stick of 512 or two of 256? Does using a single stick offer any benefits other than future upgradeability? If not, I'm tempted to buy 2x256 sticks now and then just replace them when I upgrade far in the future when PC2700 RAM is cheap.

And of course, the old standby question. I understand RAM is described by 3 numbers (i.e. 2-2-2) and the first is CAS latency. How much do I care about the other two numbers?

Memory topic next time (bet you thought that's where you were)?

Welcome to the forums!

One stick of PC2700 CAS2 is your best option.

Thanks!

I realize that one 512 stick of PC2700, CAS2 is clearly my best option, but what about my budget-priced option? How much performance will I really sacrifice by getting PC2100, CAS2?

Also: Does using a single stick rather than two offer any benefits other than future upgradeability?

I understand RAM is described by 3 numbers (i.e. 2-2-2) and the first is CAS latency. How much should I care (i.e. be willing to pay) about the other two numbers?

Back