• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastest Windows version?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KenCo

I noticed that most of the top scores on the benchmark page are from systems running Win2k. Any consensus as to the fastest version for SETI@home? I'm running 98SE on all my systems right now. I'm thinking of upgrading to either 2k professional or XP. Any opinions on which might be the better choice?

Don't bother. There's hardly any difference between any of the operating systems, including linux. As long as your system is configured properly you wouldn't notice more than a minutes difference either way. I've run just about everything and have never seen a noticeable difference unless something was seriously wrong.

Windows XP reports as NT Ver 5.01 when you use software to tell what OS is installed some of the NT systems maybe XP

Have fun
Keldin

KenCo

I recently upgraded my old PIII Katmai system from Win98 Original to Win 2K Pro. I did not do any hardware changes or change any of the critical system settings. The switch improved my SETI times by almost an hour. Could just have been a fluke but one thing I know for sure, Win 2K is much, much more stable and reliable than Win 98.

meb3269A

meb3269A said:
KenCo

I recently upgraded my old PIII Katmai system from Win98 Original to Win 2K Pro. I did not do any hardware changes or change any of the critical system settings. The switch improved my SETI times by almost an hour. Could just have been a fluke but one thing I know for sure, Win 2K is much, much more stable and reliable than Win 98.

meb3269A
Did you have MS office installed under 98? If so that's the difference.

meb3269A said:
KenCo

meb3269A
yeah, i think the difference is more due to the "background" app! when u've been using the OS for awhile, it will have all sort of app running at the background w/out ur notice. after a clean install, either same or newer OS, u'll get rid of all.

all my rigs, r running pretty much all kind of Windows, 98SE, 2k Pro, XP Home, XP Pro.

yeah from what ive seen theres no real difference
the key is to minimise background apps, a clean install of your OS would have caused the drop in times most likely ;)

The biggest thing I've found when upgrading from 98se to win2k. Low AR WU complete about a 15-30 minutes fastter with win 2k, otherwise they were the same. If you are running Ms office (ie word, excel, office) make sure that you remove both findfast items from the startup menu. This will greatly increase your times as much as a hour, this is more than likely what you're seeing.

Thanks for all the input!

Back from vacation now. Will upload WU's in the next day or two.

Back