• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is only ONE rambus possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigsexy

Hi folks,

one question: will a pc run with only one rambus (e.g. 1x256MB)?

I have 2x256 MB + two dummies - my pal cannot afford buing 2 rambus @ the moment and he wants to know if there is a possibility to run a system with only one (and e.g. three dummies).

And .... by the way: Which board would you suggest for a P4 1.6a - is the P4T-E still one of the best? Or are there better ones right now?

Thanx for help...

Last edited:
I dont think so either... meaning pairs only... Go for the Abit BD7II or the IT7 MAX RAID... Either one will be great... but i know someone that recently bought the IT7 Raid with the 1.6a chip and its running 2.7Ghz with the default Retail H/S..

Oh sorry those boards are for DDR ram... but hey.. if he cant aford 2 sticks of rambus like most DDR is great and some think a better choice... Go for Corsiar PC3000-3200.

All motherboards (including yours) that use 184 pin RDRAM requires the memory to be installed in pairs.

some new mainboards with the 232 pin RIMM slots do not require pairing.

Brian

He could just settle for two 128 meg chip's for now. That should be comparable to buying one 256 meg chip. He can alway's add another pair later on when he run's into some extra cash.

only the Asus P4T533 will support one single rdram rimm as it is the only board that supports 32bit rdram isntead of 16bit, 32bit uinlike 16bit does not require pairs. So unless your friend has a Asus P4T533 and is buying a 32bit rdram rimm hes outta luck.

wait a sec, doesn't the "installed in pairs" refer to the terminator?
i may be wrong (more than likely). i'm a AMD guy. give me a break if i'm wrong.

Using an ABIT IT7 MAX or whatever, you can run an "A" series to 160FSB using a 3/4 RAM divider, giving you around 3GB/s second real world.:)

right, no you dont need two DDR sticks...

my current understanding of RDRAM...

boards with four slots will be split into two banks...these banks are 32bit each giving you the 64bit memory width. each stick is 16bit so technically you NEED 4 for it to work, but thats where CRIMM comes into it (blank sticks) as they fill up the other two slots.

you have to use pairs...you can not have 1 stick and 3 CRIMM, you HAVE TO fill bank 0 with two sticks at least, then you can either fill bank 1 with CRIMM or more RAM.

If im wrong on any of that please correct me, as im an eager learner :)

DDR - only 1 stick required.

RDRAM - 16bit (all motherboards currently except the Asus P4T533) - needs to be installed in pairs of matching size.

RDRAM - 32bit (Asus P4T533) only 1 stick required.

Back