• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wait for pc3200 Cas2, or get some Corsair XMS3000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malakai

alright, i was gonna wait till cas 2-2-2 pc3200, but this might be some time away and the price of DDR is on the rise again.

i would have sworn that Mushkin had some cas2 pc3000 out, but i guess not:(.

now this ram is 100$ a 256meg stick, so what do ya think?
should i got for it, or continue waiting.

Really an tough question... But i know what i'd do...Prob go for it..hehe.. But the say at corsair that the Cas 2 stuff will start shipping on the 15th i believe.. WHo knows what price that will be over everything else.

The Corsair 3200 and 3000 are virtually the same sticks, they use the same Samsung chips. One is rated Cas2@185mhz, the other is Cas2.5@200mhz. A 3200 stick will run cas2 at the lower speeds

The XMS 3200 can only do 200. Its rated at that at 2.5-3-3 and thats what it does at 200fsb.

KnownKiller said:
WEll memory prices are on the rise so....

memory prices are going to rise sharply in a relatively short period of time.

with corsair already costing so much now, im afraid it may go back to the prices we had a few months ago, over 100$ for PC2100:(

so back to the original dillema, i already know that the pc3000c2 and 3200c2.5 are the same, but since i only run my ram at max timings, id rather be garunteed a 183mhz fsb at the timings im gonna run than not have any garuntee at all that the sticks i buy will run at cas2.

Pntgrd said:
The Corsair 3200 and 3000 are virtually the same sticks, they use the same Samsung chips. One is rated Cas2@185mhz, the other is Cas2.5@200mhz. A 3200 stick will run cas2 at the lower speeds

Aparantly the new 3200's (V2.1) with the Winbond chips are supposed to be the same ones used in the PC3200 CAS2 chip that is coming out. They have just not tested them to run CAS 2 yet. I did hear someone get DDR420 stable at default voltage! I don't know if he was just lucky.

Eric

I have a 512meg stick of ver 2.1 in my hands now. Unfortunatly I will not be home to put it in until tomorrow nite. My dream will be to get 221 out of it. I have seen results with ver 1.* getting as high as 218, so who knows.

Pntgrd said:
I have a 512meg stick of ver 2.1 in my hands now. Unfortunatly I will not be home to put it in until tomorrow nite. My dream will be to get 221 out of it. I have seen results with ver 1.* getting as high as 218, so who knows.

LOL Fedex has mine 3 hours from here. I probably will not get it until Monday :( Let me know what you get out of it. I read some reviews of older DDR333 chips with the same Winbond chip. Out of three makes they all made it to 224 or above.

Eric

I've been searching the past few days and most or really any dont mark the REV... Though i hear that people have been getting the PC3200 512MB Rev 2,1 from Newegg.. Plus that RamGuy at Corsairs forums stated that everything being shipped out now is all the lastest Winbond chips with the pc3000-pc3200.. Newegg recently got a new stock of them about 3 days ago so best bet is to pick them up there.

thats good info, thanks.

anyone know how long till official pc3200 cas2? (from corsair or Mushkin. dont say OCZ and make a fool of yourself:p)

link me too please?

I believe Monday for Corsair... Mushkin... eh it will be awhile.. I talked to the head tech over there and he's sayin that hes going to be talkin to some chip manufactorers next week to find something better then what there getting now from Sumsung.So i wouldnt expect anything good from them for a long while.

Some people are reporting great results with those new winbond chips on those newer Corsair 3200 v2.1 sticks. Like upwards in the 200+ range.. Though prices are rising quickly.. Might want to hold off on buying now unless you need to piece a new computer together.

Heres the corsiar offical forum. Corsair have a look around there.....

Also over at newegg there price for corsair 3200 512 with teh platinum heat spreader has rose from 187 to 205 in one afternoon... unbelieveable.

Last night i was going to order a stick till i seen that they have the Samsung Original REV C CTL sticks back for sale and i couldnt pass that up... hopefully the 3rd time is the charm and they will send me the right sticks! :rolleyes: I know i know... After the last time i ordered 2 sticks they send me DTL i shouldnt of tried but with the prices rising so fast and samsung just still at 72 bucks... i couldnt refuse.. So i bought 4 256 CTL 2700 heheh.. Hopefully, Crossing fingers..

well, im building a second box for my sis, and ill be sending my crucial to it and getting 2 new sticks for my curretn box.

new box eta needs to be within a month, so sometime within a month ill be getting the ram.

i might pay the premium for cas2 pc3200 Corsair, thats some nice garunteed FSB'age (i know my sys can handle it too;D)
think they will be more than 110$ a stick (fpor 256meg)?

Wouldnt know what the prices will be then... But i'd personaly go one 512 stick... I bet it would overclock better then 2 256 sticks. But really its all luck.

I'd wait a few anyways for that PC3200 C2 stick to come out! hehe.. Though i'd buy it asap cause ya know that will be popular since it will be the very first rated 400MHz cas2 stick out there ;)

KnownKiller said:
Wouldnt know what the prices will be then... But i'd personaly go one 512 stick... I bet it would overclock better then 2 256 sticks. But really its all luck.

I'd wait a few anyways for that PC3200 C2 stick to come out! hehe.. Though i'd buy it asap cause ya know that will be popular since it will be the very first rated 400MHz cas2 stick out there ;)

I find that 2 double banked (2 sided) 256 sticks give a good improvement in performance with 4-way interleave.
and since the sticks are garunteed to run 400mhz cas2 (Y@Y), than id rather the increase in performance from 4 way that a few extra mhz on the FSB (which the comp might not be able to handle anyway)

Malakai said:

I find that 2 double banked (2 sided) 256 sticks give a good improvement in performance with 4-way interleave.
and since the sticks are garunteed to run 400mhz cas2 (Y@Y), than id rather the increase in performance from 4 way that a few extra mhz on the FSB (which the comp might not be able to handle anyway)

That's what I'd recommend, I'd say go buy it now before the prices go up again.

Back