• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 sticks keeping me from overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eXtraktor

I have 3 sticks of Micron PC2100 and they wont do anything over 150-152mhz. I saw a couple of ppl with Micron sticks here on o/c that had them up to 160-166mhz. Im wondering if having 3 sticks is keeping me from getting them that high. I have tried giving them more voltage, up to 2.9v but with no success. I know its only PC2100 and i know its only Micron ram but i can dream can i?:eh?:

i have heard this can limit your overclocking, but there is an easy way to find out. remove two of your sticks of ram, just to test your theory... if it overclocks it was your ram... if it doesn't it's something else...

lots of luck to you.

heyou_21 said:
i have heard this can limit your overclocking, but there is an easy way to find out. remove two of your sticks of ram, just to test your theory... if it overclocks it was your ram... if it doesn't it's something else...

lots of luck to you.

something i want to add to this. if it does overclock, change the stick of ram that was in there with one of your other one's. that way you'll be able to tell which one is holding you back.

Good luck and have fun!

It's not the fact of one of the sticks that may be holding him back (although this may be the case as well), that's usually bad. It's the fact that he has 3 seperate sticks of memory. It's best to OC with just a single stick of memory, not a bunch of them.

Yah, 3 sticks would probably hold you back pretty bad. I could get 172 cas2 back when i only had 1 stick. With two sticks i can only get 158 cas2, or 172 cas2.5, so 3 sticks at 150 sounds about right. Try lower latency, you may gain 15mhz or so. I have found that the difference between cas2 and 2.5 is about the same as 10mhz, so if dropping the latency doesnt gain you more than 10 then its not worth it IMHO.

3 sticks hold me back
so i have droped down from 768 to 512MB
i chose speed over RAM

I had 2 sticks of 256MB samsung original "DTL" that i could only get to 170 max settings.. i could get that speed with one or both sticks in there... You just might have to swap the dimm dlots you use to see which ones work well together. Like on my ABIT KX7 Raid... It dont like ram in the 2 or 4 slot for overclocking but in 1 and 3 is fine.

Back