• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial vs. ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aggieeng

I want to get one stick of pc2700 512 DDR for an Epox 8k3a+ and I want to get Crucial but newegg only has 256's for the 2700. Should I try a different brand? How well does Mushkin and OCZ overclock without raising the voltage? I've heard that Mushkin doesn't like voltage....Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
stay AWAY from OCZ as it is very low quality and will probably not yield the results you desire. mushkin is top notch #1 with awesome customer support. though depending on what memory you get, your 8k3a+ may require a very simple bios flash as mine did, but you see what results i got.

www.crucial.com should have the stick you are looking for. and don't be afraid to raise the voltage on ram, as long as it is in
a reasonable range 2.5-2.9 the ram should be perfectly fine.

hope this helps and

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

Ok, thanks for all the help! Now more questions (hehe...). Would it be better to go ahead and get the pc3000? Will it run ok after I flash the bios? And just how do I go about flashing the bios? Thanks again.

Umm...nevermind...did a little research on my own (I know...I'm lazy....). The Epox page for the newest BIOS says that it has "Improved KT333 over clock capability in range 150~165Mhz. " Does this mean memory speeds are between 300 and 330 Mhz DDR or what? Someone please explain what that statement means. Thank you.

Yes it will boot fine.

Never flash your bios with the system or memory overclocked it might work fine but a bad bios flash is not fun and doing anything that adds even a slight risk is not very smart.

Last edited:
Aggieeng said:
Thanks. So will PC3000 boot up in a 333 mobo before i flash the BIOS?

Yah, PC 3000 only means its RATED that speed, not that it can ONLY run at that speed. You can run it at PC 2100 speeds if you wanted to or needed to.

The Corsair XMS3000 is very good ram. I can run it at cas2 with the fsb at 200 mhz. The mushkin ddr is also very good but I wouldn't get Crucial PC2700 because I don't think it will get you much further than 180 fsb.

Back