• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Different Ram...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bchan0701

Registered
Hi,

I'm looking to buy some ram, which I've never done before. I also didn't know what ram I had until I opened up my computer and checked. It turns out I have PC-100 SDRam. So my question is:

I've noticed many kinds of SDRams out there, PC-100, PC-133... etc., are they all compatable? ie can I use PC-133 if I have PC-100? Also, which brand is best for SDRam?

Check your nmother board to see if it will accept PC 133 SDRAM. You didn't list any of your system specs, so it's hard to tell if buying PC 133 would make any difference or not. Normally if you have a stick of PC 100 and a stick of PC 133, they will both run at 100mhz. Occasionally they won't be compatible at all.

You can use PC133 with PC100 but it wont run at 133mhz, it will drop to PC100 speed. As for best brand of memory to buy, either Crucial, Mushkin or Corsair. They are 3 of the best ones out there, you just cant go wrong with them.

Hmm, the problem is I don't know what my motherboard is. I bought it from someone who bought it preconfigured. Is there anyway I can find out what my mobo is?

thanks SnowBird

Ok, now I know what my mobo is, but I can't seem to find any info on it. It's Abit i440BX-W977(BX6Rev2.0). I searched Abit's sight, but couldn't find anything. Can anyone help? Also, can it accept PC-133 SDRam?

Also, I've found that PC-100 ram is more expensive than PC-133? The latter is faster, so why is it cheaper? Just wondering.

Yes it can use it.... and here you go... Crucial

All the ram listed is for your motherboard. You'll notice at the top of the page is says Abit BX6-2... It can take all kinds of pc100 and pc133...

i;d advise you to pick up a stick or 2 of this one... the 256MB SDRAM, PC133 • CL=2 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 7.5ns • 3.3V • 32Meg x 64

Now if your runing an older OS like win95-98 then you can just use 256MB and be fine... If your running anything newer like ME or XP then get ya 2 sticks of the 256 for a total of 512.. your system cant use a single stick of 512 so 2 sticks of 256 will be perfect.

Just buy the PC133 cause the latency is lower at 7.5ns then the old 100 thats 8ns.. Plus that stick is cas2 also... Should be much faster then what ya got so take that old PC100 out.

thanks KnownKiller,

Do you mind explaining what each of

"CL=2 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 7.5ns • 3.3V • 32Meg x 64 "

means? hehehe

Back