• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thanks for your help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

katelin

Big thanks to Speedj, lonewolf, sir-epix, and yodums (hope I didn't forget anyone) for helping me put together my first PC at the IRC. I probably couldn't have done it without your help, or at least it would have taken a lot longer. Mounting that heatsink on the CPU was a biggest problem, I was surprised how smooth the rest went, other then not seating my video and ram all the way in. I am installing Win98 on it now. I hope to overclock it when I get Windows on there. Hehe, I guess this gives me the right to mod my sig now.

Congrats on your first real "personal computer" You built it - doesn't get much more personal than that :)

Congrats. You must admit, that saved alot of bucks. Local PC shops charge hundreds of dollars to put each component in. I mean this one shop must make mad profit. 50.00 to reformat and reinstall + 25.00 for data transfer. 50.00 to install a motherboard. 25.00 to install a CD-Rom. Canadian prices.

Good job, happy crunching.

great to hear that!! and i saw u r doing what i was doing, use friends/relatives' computer to crunch!! heheee....:D

another farmer was born!! :clap:

oh, btw, congrats on the yellow jacket today!!! :beer:

Great work, now tell us whats inside of it? Oh and do not forget to do the SETI benchmark. Look in Land Sharks sig for the link.

Congratulations Katlin! :D I hope you enjoyed your first building experience. My wife asked to build her system once and she did enjoy it. She lets me do it all now but she has a better understanding of what is going on since she has done it herself. :)

Cy

I do believe there will be many many more built by you in the future.:D Congrats on your first build:cool:

Thanks guys. It's a great experience and a great feeling. There's still problems with it that I need to resolve, it keeps hanging and SETI keeps crashing.

katelin said:
Thanks guys. It's a great experience and a great feeling. There's still problems with it that I need to resolve, it keeps hanging and SETI keeps crashing.

FIXED! I will let her tell you guys what the problem was. Congrats on what is going to be a great cruncher.

Initiation Ritual Complete!

Well gang she passed the Initiation Ritual with flying colors and can wear the badge of OCer with PRIDE! The details are her's for the telling, but WELCOME to the Club Katelin!

SkyHook

Hehe, it's quite embaressing, but I didn't plug in the heatsink fan and the CPU keeps over heating. Thanks a million to Sir-Epix and the gang for helping pinpoint the problem. I don't know you guys, this fan is really loud. I liked it better the way it was before :). I don't suppose there's a way to make the fan quiet without having to disconnect it. It's really noticeable at night like this when it's quiet. Oh by the way, I played with overclocking this thing for the last hour. Here's what I got. I tried 155 on the fsb, but I get like windows protection error and had to reboot into safe mode and stuff. Anyways I am one happy camper. Thanks again.

Thanks Landshark. I'm so psyched that I skipped my Friday night movies with my friends, they think I'm crazy hehe. I'm using Globalwin CAK-II. And it's the high pitch sound from it that kinda bugs me. But my CPU is running cool even when running SETI, it's like 45C right now. Any suggestions?

oic. what kinda fan r u using??? delta???

2 hsf recommend:

1 is Millienium Glaicator II, that's what i was using on all my AMD rigs. great cooling and less noisy than delta but offering similar performance. however, it still not the quietest and u will/might notice it too.

2, my favor right now. AX-7 w/ the highest output Panaflow fan. great cooling! and virually unnoticeable noise!!!! the psu fan sometimes sounds noiser than the Panaflow!! cold my all my XP w/ 1.85~1.9v ONLY about 10C above mobo temp while running SETI!! highly recommended if noise is a problem............like me. having 7+rigs running at the same time, even w/ MGII, they all added up and pretty noisy!! especially w/ 2 duallie! but now, it's quiet enough that u could sleep w/ all the machines!

good luck!! ;)

Glad to be of help Katelin, just glad it is all up and running for you. Crunching some good wu's I would think too, as for the heatsink I will toss in my two cents, I recommend the SLK600, just be careful what fan you choose to put on it. I would also agree with Landshark in that the Glaciator II is a very solid choice of cooling solutions, and usually very quiet.

Again if you have more questions feel free to ask always glad to help out.

J :cool:

Thanks for your suggestions, but I already spent $34 on the Globalwin. I'd have to shell out another $35 or so for either an AX-7 or SLK600 plus a fan, as neither of those are priced with a fan. Where can I find the Glaciar II heatsink?

http://www.millennium-thermal.com/start.htm

or go to heatsink factory, they have the AX-7 w/ high flow panaflow (stated as "low noise/quiet" solution) for sale too.

or, soon ('bout a week or two), i'll have three GlaciatorII for sale. 2 from mine duallie, and 1 from my friend's. however, i have to ask Doug (rogerdugans) first since i've promised him he will be the first one on the list. ;)

yeah thats the problem with the athlons,good cooling is a must,and that often means lotsa noise...
one of the reasons for me moving to a p4 platform

i also recommend the thermaltake volcano 7+,all copper,with a fan that you can change the speed one depending on what sort of cooling/noise ratio you want :)

Back