• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seti@home Poll?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JKooL

Registered
I was reading the poll on the Seti homepage.

One of the questions asked respondents if "the U.S government should fund Seti research?"

A mind boggling majority of something like 87% voted yes. I was dumbfounded.

I consider myself a Libertarian. But disregarding my political stance, what business is it of the taxpayer (which funds the U.S government) to have to fund specific scientific research such as Seti? I'm a firm believer in the fact that private organizations and institutions can do anything that the government can do, and better.

Seti is not a project that tax money should be appropriated for.

What do you guys think?

Personally I would rather see our tax money go towards local space projects such as a mission to mars, that sort of thing. I don't think tax dollars should go to something like Seti. I believe Seti has scientific merit or I wouldn't be doing it, but the immediate rewards are not quite great enough to be pouring our tax dollars into. Of course a poll on the Seti site is going to be heavily biased in favor of Seti.

I'm already addicted to seti :D

But, thinking logically and rationally, I also cannot see how tax money could be spent on a project like this.

-Joe

Another Thing To Consider

Don't forget that a lot of the respondents to a poll like that could possibly not be "American". Were I of some other nationality(no offense intended), and asked if I favored having American taxpayers foot part of the bill for SETI Research, you better believe I'm saying yes, without even thinking. Now ask the question, should the U.N. or World Bank, or some such "International" body be involved and you might see a different trend.

All that not withstanding, I do feel that SETI should not be governmently funded. However the U.S. through some of it's agencies has funded research on such things as the mating habits of fruitflies, and other equally questionable research grants, so would SETI be any different?

:mad: Now I have to stay up the rest of the night and dwell on the pros and cons of this!:mad:

:rolleyes: :p :rolleyes:
SkyHook

Re: Another Thing To Consider

SkyHook said:
However the U.S. through some of it's agencies has funded research on such things as the mating habits of fruitflies, and other equally questionable research grants, so would SETI be any different?

Skyhook, I understand that the U.S government has it's fair share of waste and fraud and corruption when it comes to throwing money around. I am against all of this waste and useless funding for programs. I'm completely in favor of a free market and the ability of private corporations and organizations to fund their own research and production.

I forgot to take into account that many of those polled are from other countries, thanks for pointing that out. :cool:

-Joe

Well Another Day

I cheated! Slept on it and one things comes to mind. Would government funding be worth the uninformed meddling and regulation that seems destined to come attached with the check? I'm pretty sure the answer there is a resounding NO. SETI and it's people need to be free to move and respond to where the technology leads them. Filling out paperwork in triplicate every time they need a new cat5 cable and waiting on government review would smother that.

Just another thought.

SkyHook

TC said:
Personally I would rather see our tax money go towards local space projects such as a mission to mars, that sort of thing. I don't think tax dollars should go to something like Seti. I believe Seti has scientific merit or I wouldn't be doing it, but the immediate rewards are not quite great enough to be pouring our tax dollars into. Of course a poll on the Seti site is going to be heavily biased in favor of Seti.

Ditto. Well put.

Back