• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice about buying ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sabwafare2001

Registered
Since my mothboard supports both pc133 and pc2100 ram, I was wondering wheather it's better to buy some pc133 512mb for $54.00, pc133 256mb, pc2100 256mb for $40.00 or just something else. Right now I have 384mb pc133 ram. The memory being name beand doesn't matter to me either. The next time I'll probably upgrade (mothboard,cpu) will be in until they shutdown on me or in about a year, whichever is first. Also I don't overclock, but I do play games. I play games like Warcraft 3, GTA 3, and Spiderman, but not games like Doom, Quake, and Unreal Tornament (which are sometimes used for benchmark tests).

ECS K7S5A [1/12/2k2]
AthlonXP 1800+
384MB PC133
80GB IBM 7200rpm, 20GB 5400rpm
Lite-on 24x10x40
Lite-on dvd 16x
Video Magic 64mb Video card
400W power supply

sabwafare2001 said:
Since my mothboard supports both pc133 and pc2100 ram, I was wondering wheather it's better to buy some pc133 512mb for $54.00, pc133 256mb, pc2100 256mb for $40.00 or just something else. Right now I have 384mb pc133 ram. The memory being name beand doesn't matter to me either. The next time I'll probably upgrade (mothboard,cpu) will be in until they shutdown on me or in about a year, whichever is first. Also I don't overclock, but I do play games. I play games like Warcraft 3, GTA 3, and Spiderman, but not games like Doom, Quake, and Unreal Tornament (which are sometimes used for benchmark tests).

ECS K7S5A [1/12/2k2]
AthlonXP 1800+
384MB PC133
80GB IBM 7200rpm, 20GB 5400rpm
Lite-on 24x10x40
Lite-on dvd 16x
Video Magic 64mb Video card
400W power supply

I would go DDR. AMD Athlon XP's really benefit from it since the bandwidth is much better than SDR. Things will run faster, and you wouldn't get everything from your Athlon XP if you ran it with SDR.

Maxvla said:
yes.. you want DDR! this will make gaming alot better.

get some crucial pc2100 from www.crucial.com

dont even waste your money on sdram.

you mean dont waste your time on SDR, DDR ram is a kind of SDRAM. Only difference between the two is DDR double pumps to double the bandwith where as SDR doesnt. Both are still SDRAM ram.

Ferg said:

you mean dont waste your time on SDR, DDR ram is a kind of SDRAM. Only difference between the two is DDR double pumps to double the bandwith where as SDR doesnt. Both are still SDRAM ram.

:rolleyes: im not stupid, and its not "double pump"... the ram recieves information twice per clock cycle.

Maxvla said:

:rolleyes: im not stupid, and its not "double pump"... the ram recieves information twice per clock cycle.

thats what double pumped means, and intel calls what they do to their fsb quad-pumped. But, it means the same thing as what your saying.

Ferg said:

thats what double pumped means, and intel calls what they do to their fsb quad-pumped. But, it means the same thing as what your saying.
i just think its stupid when they try to make their product sound better than it is... quad pumped sounds like 4 weight lifters are powering your computer. lol.

completely stupid.

Back