• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building new seti machine need help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xanthan

Disabled
i am going to build a new rig for seti this weekend and would like help picking a motherboard.
one thing i would really like is to be able to use the new computer for lan games when buddies are over and have it run seti the rest of the time.
have any motherboards been made that have onboard video and sound that can actually play the newer FPS games etc ??
my budget is not that high so if i could get away with not buying yet another video card it would be awesome.

I haven't kept up with the nforce boards, but you might want to have a look at some of those. I don't think they're anywhere close to a separate geforce card though.

nforce/AMD/DDR would probably be your best bet for cost. Also give you a system that can play games decent but not great. I'm looking at building a comp. for my buddy with an nforce board. He's just starting school and needs a cheap box.

But all you need is a mobo, proc, RAM, HDD,LAN card, and a case you dont even need CD-ROM drive or anything like that if you want to save $$$ and dont have extra parts.

check newegg...they have good prices

id say an ECS k7s5a board with onboard LAN and sound, and for out the money you save on this board into your vid card.
slap in a 1ghz+duron or low end XP and off you go.
:)

well i ended up ordering a shuttle ak31/duron 1.3ghz with a geforce 2 mx400, got the mx400 for $36...
thanks guys

Back