• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC150 Mushkin or Kingmax ????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deez

I';ve tried several sticks but my best is crucial pc133 2-2-2 at 151. My chip (in sig) will do at least 159 but I cant find RAM that will at high settings. I've tried several sticks of Micron, also Corsair and Infineon with no luck. I'm buying a new stick this weekend should I go Mushkin rev3 or Kingmax? The Kingmax is also about $20 cheaper

any opinions?

Both are good. As with any oc'ing you have to be lucky to get a stick that can oc far and still be stable at CAS2. They are rated at 6ns and from my experience most do not have that much more room for oc'ing. A realistic oc to expect is around 155-166mhz at CAS2. Not many can get higher than 166mhz CAS2. If you are really unlucky you may get a stick that can't even pass 155mhz at CAS3 regardless of brand.
I have a Kingmax 256mb PC150 that does 163mhz cas2 and 171mhz cas3.
You can only buy a stick and pray it can oc.

Well I think I'm gonna go with a stick of Kingmax 512 and see what I can do. I'm also getting an AX7 this week. I will update my progress at the end of the week

Last edited:
In my old P-III 700 I had some KingMax PC150 that did 150 2-2-2. That was in a Asus CUSL2. If Kingmax is $20 cheaper. I would go for it. Kingmax runs cool also. Being BGA.

yep kingmax is $20 cheaper for the 256Mb stick and I cant even find a stick of 512Mb Mushkin. My crucial wont do anything over 151 not even with the slowest settings so I'm hoping the tiny BGA will help out a bit.

I saw something that said the tiny BGA chips are designed to run up to a maximum speed of 300Mhz but I'm not sure if it was just b/s or what

I seem to be having good luck with Kingmax running cas 2-2-2-5 at 162.5. One stick of 512mb and one of 256mb.

Well I got the stick of Kingmax 512Mb today and it wont even boot into windows 2K at 150 3-3-3 so i'll have to RMA it. I got it from mwave so it shouldn't be a problem I'll just have to wait a few more days :(

deez said:
Well I got the stick of Kingmax 512Mb today and it wont even boot into windows 2K at 150 3-3-3 so i'll have to RMA it. I got it from mwave so it shouldn't be a problem I'll just have to wait a few more days :(
Sorry to hear that dude. I know the feeling.
The first Kingmax 256 pc150 I got could not even do 153mhz stable on cas3. rma'ed it and I was lucky to get one that does 163mhz cas2 and 171mhz cas3. Just goes to show how the quality of these sticks can vary so much. Hope to hear you got a better one.

Try the Mushkin, they really stand behind thier products and will go the extra mile to make you happy.

Maybe also look around for a stick of Tonicom if you can find any.

(Placid sold a couple sticks in the Classifieds, maybe post in the wanted section your looking for some)** I think Tainice may have some for sale or did :eh?:

Silversinksam...I think Tainice sold that tonicom a few months back on ebay. I've tried the classifides (wanted section) with no luck and I even picked up a stick of OCZ from the classifides but that didn't work out for me either. But I'll try again and see what happens.

paulie...I hope so too

Well I got my RMA'ed Kingmax today and its doing 159 3-3-3 stable right now so now its time for more testing

dont think my vid card likes the high FSB tho' Aopen Gf3Ti200

paulie said:

Sorry to hear that dude. I know the feeling.
The first Kingmax 256 pc150 I got could not even do 153mhz stable on cas3. rma'ed it and I was lucky to get one that does 163mhz cas2 and 171mhz cas3. Just goes to show how the quality of these sticks can vary so much. Hope to hear you got a better one.
Paulie,

is this the standard CAS3 tiny BGA Kingmax RAM, part No. MPJB63S-68KX3? (Perhaps with a Ver 1.1 on the PCB?)

Here's the kingmax website:

http://www.kingmax.com/product/pro_desk.htm

Could you please identify which of those 256 MB sticks you're using? Thanks!

Deez, I'm also thinking about buying the Kingmax from mwave -- could you please keep us posted on how far you can go on CAS2 FSB? Also, could you report the PCB version and part no.? (When I called mwave, they couldn't tell me.)

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -- Paul

I must be incredibly lucky because I've been running mine at cas 2, 158 together, for nine months now. They do give out at 162, but I bet the 256mb alone would do slightly higher. I did not buy both sticks at the same time (3 weeks apart) but I did get them from the same place. Please don't make fun of my bandwidth, I'm working on it.:cool:

Grande Juan said:
I must be incredibly lucky because I've been running mine at cas 2, 158 together, for nine months now. They do give out at 162, but I bet the 256mb alone would do slightly higher. I did not buy both sticks at the same time (3 weeks apart) but I did get them from the same place. Please don't make fun of my bandwidth, I'm working on it.:cool:
Hey, speaking as a fellow person on SDRAM and a PIII (which rocks in comparison to my old P Pro 200), the last thing I'll be doing is makin' fun of you!!

Onward, comrade!! :)

-- Paul

macklin01 said:

Deez, I'm also thinking about buying the Kingmax from mwave -- could you please keep us posted on how far you can go on CAS2 FSB? Also, could you report the PCB version and part no.? (

I'll be tweaking mem timings and settings this week but so far for stability testing I'm running at 3-3-3 6/8

so I'll keep you guys posted

deez said:

I'll be tweaking mem timings and settings this week but so far for stability testing I'm running at 3-3-3 6/8

so I'll keep you guys posted
Thanks for the update.

I just ordered another stick of the Kingmax from mwave. The stupid 3 day shipping should have arrived on Friday, but now they pulled a "reschedule" (on the UPS side, I presume) to have it arrive on Monday. Glad I paid for the 3 day shipping vs. 5-6 ... :mad:

I'll let you know how far I can take it at 3-3-3 and 2-2-2. So far, I can get 3-3-3 up to 156 MHz. At that speed, my WD hdd gives errors, so I can't test further. I can do 2-2-2 up to 138 MHz, although the errors reported at even 145 MHz were pretty sporadic.

Incidentally, the stick of Micron CL3 PC-133 I have in there is keeping up just fine ... strange.

-- Paul

Back