• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung PC 2700 and low sisoft sandra benchmarks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AragornXtreme

Registered
Ok, once i run Sisoft Sandra's memory benchmark I get an average bandwith of my 512 DDR samsung 333 of abut 2050 mb/s, and im running at the most agressive timings (2-2-2-5-1) , turbo mode and on a VIA kt333 chipset ](Asus a7v333) What worries me is the fact that according to Sandra a Via kt333 running pc2700 at CAS 2.5 (thus slower than my timings) gets an average of 2100 - 2200 mb/s, what is wrong here? Is there anything wrong with my memories? Please help

I'm in the same boat. My PC2700 (Corsair XMS on a MSI KT3 ultra) running at over 2700, 3-5-3 or over PC2100 at 2-5-2 gets beat by lesser memories according to sandra...

I honestly think that it's just a "miscalculation" by sandra...she is showing the maximum values for those particular RAMs, and the real world values are actually less (due to inefficiences)

:(
I am also using a 512MB Samsung 2700 Stick, and I must say I was surprised when I saw my sandra scores. 2000 to 2050 usally. But even at FSB 150 i did not get more than 2150 to 2200. All of this at fastest timings. There is somthing really strange going on here.

Yup... let's try to get this post up and running so we can get other people running samsung pc2700 to gives us their sisoft sandra scores... since all three of us are facing the same thing, I'm starting to think that sandra has miscalculated the other ram settings... it's impossible that a pc2700 running at cas 2.5 has a better bandwith than a pc2700 running at the mostr agressive timing (2-2-2-5-1T)

When i had my Samsung Original 2700 from newegg whicih was the DTL model i was getting a bench of 2500+ at a FSB of 170 Max settings.

Even with the CPU set at fast command.

From my experience if you are lucky enough to get CTL ram and have unlocked cpu you will get killer scores if you do 200fsb with by spd settings. i got over 3k. too bad my ram died about 3 weeks after i got that high cause it needed 2.9v to get there. no heatspreader=toast ram :(

AragornXtreme said:
How Do i see if my ram is CTL or DTL?? Cuz i saw the chip and It says Samsung followed by a lot of numbers.

Heres some numbers off of the stick of Samsung Original i had from Newegg.com before i sent it back.

Korea 0224 20-147-101

M369L3223DTL-CB3 20147101-000481

Those above are exactly how they are on the chips... 2 sticks right and left... The one on the left will say Korea and a small Samsung lable under it. Also on the very side of the PCB edge you will see a very small white Samsung stamped into the PCB.

If ya dont have something like this then you have a generic stick with just samsung chips.

Ya know guys...unless you have the latest chipsets out there, PC2700 timings were not fully supported or the big issue of sync timing might be associated with your chipset...

I'm running a MSI-645 Ultra Max-C Mobo with a 512 stick of Samsung PC2700 DDR memory...

I'm running it at 350 mhz and I'm getting 2650 to 2800mb/sec rate !!!!

Now if I take out my mem and put the same stick in my buddy's A7V333, I get 1950-2200mb/sec...

There were ALOT of talk about PC2700 in the first chipsets that could support it....timing and sync problems were the biggest..

It's all in the chipset...

Jason

garasaki said:
I think we all have Via 333 chipsets though...
The first 333ddr chipsets from VIA had the problems....

Thats why 2700 got such a bad rap at first because of the crappy performance, but it turned out to be a chipset issue and PC2700 kicks *** !!!

Maybe it's time for a upgrade....

I used to be a BIG Amd guy....all my machines were Athlon based....

but with the P4a's out now...and how much better they OC and how much cooler they are....I've made the switch and am pretty happy...

For about $325, I got the fastest Mobo out there for P4, a 1.6a that runs at 2.3ghz no prob, and a 512 Samsung 2700 stick...

It beats out my xp2100 that's OC'd to hell and needs killer cooling and has a slow mem bus rate..

Jason

I'm running Samsung 2700 chips on an aftermarket board. Powermem; anyone ever heard of them? I have 1-512 meg stick.
I have only been able to run the ram at one setting if I oc any at all. That is 2.5-6-3-3. Currently running an Abit BD-7 at 3:4 (133 buss) with the ram oc'ed to 129, whatever the final ram speed is for this mess. CPU is a P4-1.8a, giving me a oc of 2323mhz. Any other spd settings will crash my WinXP at startup, giving me a BSOD. Anyhow my Sandra SP1 score for memory is about 2575.

Cheers,
Mike

I have Sandra SP1 and it ID's my samsung 512MB PC2700 as a CTL chip but i havent got 2 check it out yet. I was in a bit of a hurry Started unlocking my xp2000+ today. Anyway is at least an orginal samsung stick cus it says so on the PCB. How high should the sandra scores be more or less, @ FSB166 and @ FSB133? (Fastest timings of course) By the way... when running my RAM at 354DDR i only got ca. 2200 in mem bench. THAT IS REALLY BAD!!!!!

garasaki said:
I think we all have Via 333 chipsets though...

Using the I845E with 150fsb @ 3:4 mutiplier on ram for 200Mhz = DDR400 with the Sandra Bench below:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Memory . . . . . . . CPU . . . . . . . . Media . . . . . vcore . . . . Mem Mhz
2691mhz 150fsb = . . . 2997 / 2994 . . 5161 / 3283 . . 10550 / 13243 . . .1.60v . . . . 400mhz . . . . 1.8A

texasfit said:

Using the I845E with 150fsb @ 3:4 mutiplier on ram for 200Mhz = DDR400 with the Sandra Bench below:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Memory . . . . . . . CPU . . . . . . . . Media . . . . . vcore . . . . Mem Mhz
2691mhz 150fsb = . . . 2997 / 2994 . . 5161 / 3283 . . 10550 / 13243 . . .1.60v . . . . 400mhz . . . . 1.8A
It's amazing how much faster the Intel based systems are performing then AMD based...

This is what turned me from a hardcore AMD nut into an Intel fan !!!

Plus that fact that it's not a room heater also helps..

Jason.

Hi there...
I've cheked now my dimms and I found out that they are GENERIC Ram with Samsung Chipsets, so Im ****ed off with the shop because they clearly told me "These are SAMSUNG memories" when they where actually "GENERIC memories with samsung chipsets". Now, I dont now if the difference in performance is that great because I could easily go and get my money back (I could threat with sueing because what they did is actually lying to a customer) but I dont want to waste my time and fight with these guys for just a tiny increase in performance..
Is the difference between generic samsung and samsung original that great?

AragornXtreme said:
Hi there...
I've cheked now my dimms and I found out that they are GENERIC Ram with Samsung Chipsets, so Im ****ed off with the shop because they clearly told me "These are SAMSUNG memories" when they where actually "GENERIC memories with samsung chipsets". Now, I dont now if the difference in performance is that great because I could easily go and get my money back (I could threat with sueing because what they did is actually lying to a customer) but I dont want to waste my time and fight with these guys for just a tiny increase in performance..
Is the difference between generic samsung and samsung original that great?
I don't think they lied to you.....on my Samsung memory, there's no indication of Samsung on the actuall PCB itself....but all the chips are...

If you have Samsung chips, then you have Samsung memory...simple as that......

Now if the memory had another name on it, then I'd be ****ed...

See what others with Samsung say but I think I wouldn't worry about it too much..

Jason

P.S. Of course on the back side of the module, there's a sticker saying Samsung PC2700 512mb....what does yours say ??

AragornXtreme said:
I have no stickers on my module... just one saying 512 DDR
There is a difference in True Samsung PCB and Generic. Many manufacturers use samsung chips on lesser quality pcb. The results are just not as good.

My true samsung is the DTL and not the CTL. :(

AragornXtreme said:
I have no stickers on my module... just one saying 512 DDR
Kinda stuck in a hard spot.......again..for me....the VIA chipsets don't have the greatest bandwidth when it comes to DDR-333....they did have problems....

As for the memory speed...if you read my first post....my same killer stick in my buddy's VIA-333 based system gave me scores that were on par with yours!!!

I'd say the memory is cool, as this is a known issue...If you lived close to me, I'd offer you mine to try...

But I think we all know what the real problem is here..

Jason

Back