• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory management tools useful or crap?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PixelMover

Been reading about these memory management tools..
Do they really work, is it worth it?
I have 1024mb RAM in W2k Pro

If they are good, which one should I use and WHY that particular one, or, why NOT use a particular one.

TIA

Good question!

I´m using the CyberLat Ram Cleaner - if the analysis that it gives are true - then it sometimes frees over 50 % RAM which is senslessly occupied!

I´m using it e.g. after playing ramintensive games like GTA 3 or s.th. . No idea whether it helps or not :D - but its freeware - so why not!

Bigsexy said:
....but its freeware - so why not!

Why not? well..maybe it could make the system unstable if it didn't work properly?
Or maybe it could actually slow things down rather than speed things up if it doesn't work well..

So...all you forum-reading-memory-wizards, input PLEASE?

i use maxmem from analogx and since i've added another 256mb of ram i don't need it as much as i once did. but i still run it... and it cleans up the memory every once in a while. think of it as a reboot for your memory. you know how it is when you first start your computer? everything is quick and responsive... and as time goes on things can get sluggish... these memory programs are designed to fight just that.

the reason is because when certain programs are run they allocate the amount of memory they need to run, but when you close them they don't give it back... or at least all of it. so then you start "losing" ram to programs that aren't even running anymore. the memory programs go through and look at whats running and re-allocates your entire memory in about 15-30 seconds.

Maxvla said:
i use maxmem from analogx and since i've added another 256mb of ram i don't need it as much as i once did. but i still run it... and it cleans up the memory every once in a while. think of it as a reboot for your memory. you know how it is when you first start your computer? everything is quick and responsive... and as time goes on things can get sluggish... these memory programs are designed to fight just that.

the reason is because when certain programs are run they allocate the amount of memory they need to run, but when you close them they don't give it back... or at least all of it. so then you start "losing" ram to programs that aren't even running anymore. the memory programs go through and look at whats running and re-allocates your entire memory in about 15-30 seconds.

That´s exactly my meaning of those proggies!!

Just try it - you cannot damage anything - you will just be excited about it!

one more thing!! don't run the memory program while you are gaming! if your game suddenly spikes your memory the memory manager will auto clean which takes your fancy computer and makes it a pile of dead metal for 10-15 seconds which can lock up your game or just make it terrible to play.

Back