• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory question pc2700 or 2100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdsaint3

since the price of ddr is fast rising.. which do you suggest?? 512mb of ddr266 or 384mb of ddr 333 which would be faster??? or better my board supports 333dddr.. its an ecs k7vta 3 ver 3.. also my current 256ddr 333 thks..

If your board supports DDR333, you should probably get DDR333. However, my philosophy on memory is to always get what you think will have the best longevity, so it really depends on what your long-term (9-18 month) upgrade plans are. Most of the time, the fastest memory you can afford will have the best longevity. But this could be an exception.

If you think you’ll upgrade your system to one of the first DDRII boards with dual channel support for DDR266, you might not be any better off with DDR333 or DDR4000 as you would have been with more DDR266. On the other hand, if you plan to wait for a faster version of the DDRII spec before your next upgrade, you’d be better off with faster memory.

It all depends what you plan to use your rig for.

PC2100 (DDR266) is still the most widely used DDR spec (and last I heard, the fastest "official" specification). My Crucial PC2100 runs at 160MHz FSB, CL2 just fine, trashing PC800 RDRAM in the memory benchmarks.

Personally, I would recommend good quality PC2100 just now, and upgrade to dual-channel DDR when it becomes available.

Unless of course, you can notice the 4 millisecond delay between PC2100 running fast, and stock PC2700 (DDR333)......:D

Last edited:
question re: your last post... Unless of course, you can notice the 4 millisecond delay between PC2100 running fast, and stock PC2700 (DDR333) .... sorry but which is faster???? 1. pc2100 running fast or a stock PC2700???? thnks.. just need an answer for this last 2 q's.. 2. pc2100 running fast is? adjusted latency , etc?

Back