• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anaylizing the top movers and shakers page

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

keldin

Registered
http://www.ocsetiteam.com/daily/id_stats_dailytop100.htm

I was really looking at this page today.
This is a good page, from what i gather it means

1. that if everyone had zero work units 7 days agao, based on the lasts weeks production this would be the rankings.

2. Overtime if people crank at these levels the overall list should look more and more like this. (not counting drop outs and people that send in batch and are not showing up after only 1 week)

3. it also weeds thru the inactives and produces a more true who's working list.

Just my observations, thanks to the maker of this page, whoever it was.

;)

Not Speaking Out of Turn

I don't think I'm speaking out of turn when I say that 99.999% of what the stats are today, both in substance and presentation are the direct results of the efforts of Basher. They may have existed prior to his involvement in them but he reinvented them and added new spark to the presentation, along with a dedication to keeping them up to date and correct as possible.

IMHO, it is those "stats" pages which bring some meaning and enjoyment to this hobby of SETI @ Home. They breed comradery, and competition all at the same time. They have been monitored to detect team members that might be having a problem as well as often times being an early indication that someone has added something to their production. The stats, "keep no secrets" & "tell no lies".

My THANKS to the Team, and to Basher, for giving me such pleasure!

Okay, now I can put my soapbox away.

SkyHook

That "history" was the first design of the pages... designed by Allan (and still maintained on his server) with the help of SpeeDj and myself... (10/00 to 2/01 time frame)

Then Folding@home came along.. and Allan took over the stats project there and J helped him out... the SETI team went from about 200 active members to about 50...

I took over the site design (a project leader who had lost most of the original "stats project" team) and developed the graphics and layout for the site, largely as it still exists now... my first use of both photoshop & Frontpage and my firts (and last) web site design :eek: (2/01-3/01 time frame)

During this time, Ed wrote his article in March, and we went from about 50 to 20 active SETI members.. With that setback, I largely gave up and then TC emailed me (he was a complete stranger to both me & the forums at that time--he had like 5 posts or something.... but we had a mutual friend)...

I showed him the rough design of the pages... he made comments, criticisms (M42 in the main graphic came from Tim) and the pages took off and were up and posted... (3/01-4/01)... by June the site design had really come together and the team took off: 300, 400, 500 members by July 30th...

A couple months later things changed for me, significantly. RL changes, team changes, OC changes... I quit SETI & the team & the OC forums after trying to find someone to take over the project... The team remained strong but the stats pages floundered and then died... (after the Folding debacle, I had for the most part remained a team of one when it came to the actual "work" of posting stats... this was not for a lack of voluteers--many tried to help out... I should have listened to them, I admit...) (8/01-9/01)

Then TC started working on the project & Chawken & Basher too... It became their vision and was resurrected by virtue of their "reshaping" the project... (I have to admit I only stopped in very occasionally--once or twice a month, if that)... Their changes are, and have been, brilliant--in many ways it is much harder to remodel than redesign. (9/01-10/01)

I, much like everyone, appreciate the hard work that Tim, Sean, Juan, etc. put in on a weekly basis...

I have no real explaination for why I wrote this... and it is the team history acording to me... (yes, this is very subjective, but also factual... I admit there are other possible perspectives on many of these events...)

Morpheus said:
I have no real explaination for why I wrote this... and it is the team history acording to me...
yeah, i do remember most of it........and it's a good refresh/reminder/intro to both new and old members. our team did have highs and lows, but time after time, we only keep growing stronger and stronger!!!! :beer:

Kris:

Actually, I'm glad you laid out the history. Your story was very interesting. I joined the team somewhere around the 300 member mark, so I was unaware of the history prior to then. It's good to know that the early founders of the team are still around and still active. Having you "old" guys around provides good continuity! Thanks.

That brings back some memories.... I had forgotten that my Seti name was Shadow back then.

Kris!

If you are still unsure why your posting of that information is So Important, as of last night I can think of 1099 reasons. It should be an important part of each and every team member that they know where their team came from, because it is only with understanding of one's past, that he or she can have a clear vision of the future. The positive moments in one's past are great memories, while the negative moments are truely great learning experiences.

"How did that darn soapbox slip out here again!"

Anyway, Thanks to you for sharing our history, and Thanks to every team member from our original Founder right down to this afternoon's newest member for making this one of the strongest and most cohesive teams in all of SETI @ Home.

Opinions are like Fingers - Everybody should have 10-12!

SkyHook

To fill in some more history of the team....(From my prospective). It was my junior year in High School, which seems like a long time ago...1999-2000 when I founded my personal team which was called NovaStar for you who remember that. I created the team to pit my Celeron box that I made myself against my friends p3. We had great fun with just racing each other on the team page. Then my other friend got interested in Seti and he joined the team. Well during Art Class my senior year we were doing photoshop but since my teacher knew I was a computer wiz anyways (his words) I didn't have to do all the projects. So I spent most of my team searching the berkeley pages. Then I came across a guy named something Ice Tea...I forget. He had a lot of work units, but what attracted me to him was his insanely low work unit completion time. Low and behold he was on www.overclockers.com seti team. So I checked out the site and found the forums. I instantly feel into the seti stuff nook and took up residency here. I still stayed on my team, but helped out the www.overclockers.com seti team. I met some really good friends such as Chawken, and because of the forums struggled to disect not only my computer, but my os, and other things to see what would make seti run faster. I then started to compile a web page, which is on www.ocsetiteam.com called Seti Tricks and Tips (although outdated). At that time www.overclockers.com seti team was struggling to stay together do to leadership leaving. A few key members left the team, inwhich some joined NovaStar. NovaStar grew to the top 25 in its division before My friends and I decided to jump ship. In which we all came back to the reformed www.overclockers.com seti team. Then I decided that I no longer wanted to crunch, but a certain someone kept me involved in crunching...and for those who know me...me not crunching is hard to believed. I did stop crunching though it was only because I was helping start a inter team endeavor. The Four Horsemen were born, and the rest is well to be decided in the future. That is my breif history lesson...class dismissed :)

thanks Morpheus and Sir-Epix for the history of the groups, some one should cut-and paste this onto the regular webpage for new members like me that don't know the history. Maybe other founders have some input

Have fun
keldin

keldin said:
thanks Morpheus and Sir-Epix for the history of the groups, some one should cut-and paste this onto the regular webpage for new members like me that don't know the history. Maybe other founders have some input

Have fun
keldin
hmm.....team history? that might be a good idea huh? anyone?! :rolleyes:

My Vote

Well having already browbeat everybody with my rantings on the importance of keeping the team's history alive and available, it would go without saying that I most definately like the idea of seeing it created into a page and incorporated on the website. Now is the time to get it done, while so many of the original cast of characters are still present and in full control of their faculties:D . You guys aren't getting any younger and the mind is one of the first things to go!

SkyHook

I can throw one up maybe this weekend. I'm trying to pass the CCNA exam so most of my time is spent studying, but maybe I can cram it in.

To all the OCSETITeam:

I would like to point out that the history of this team is huge and has seen its ups and down.....WHen I first dropped into this site (April 2001) the team was kept in shape by this great man Morpheous (aka Kris) that with the help of some great guys (Daniel, Allan, Murphy and TC) encouraged all the new guys to the crunching madness.....those were the days that we jumped into the real competition as we reached the top 100 and went thrue the ranks like a hot knife thrue butter.....but alas, Kris had some great changes in his life and had to drop a little from the team, that caused a lot of trouble into the ranks, as this happened almost at the same time that the AOA incident lots of good guys dropped from the team. After some hard times Tim and Sean took the reins of the horse and managed to get it going.....with the help of Jon, Chawken and SpeedDJ we managed to survive and continue growing as one of the friendlier team be with.....

All this guys are like a close family to me and the time I'm not around seems hard without dropping a note here now and then.

To all the good fellows here (and to those that are no longer here) I send you all a huge COngratulations and hope to see you in the near future.

Mictlan

Back