• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ramsinks? And which dimm slots?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exar Jun

I am talking about rig one in my sig. The mem is 2 256m crucial. Should I put ramsinks on them? If I do I won't be able to put them side by side. Should I put them in slots 1 and 3 or 1 and 4? Any ramsink okay?

My proc is unlock and ready to oc. :)

Well the dimm slots you want to use that are the best are 1 and 3... Thats 1 as in closest to the CPU and the 3rd one from the CPU.. 2 and 4 dont overclock as well.. hell my computer is not even stable with a stick in the 4th slot.

About the heatsinks... Your not gona overclock that ram all that much to even worry about it. You dont need them... really no one needs them... unless your throwing some heavy voltage to the ram like over 2.9 then dont worry about it. I mean they really dont do all that much... Only about a 3 degree of difference. There more for visual then cooling.

If you are going to do it and its heatsinks insted of the thermo heat spreader (Flat plate) Your gona have to worry about the tall resistors next to dimm slot one 1 and 4 that it will hit.

So anyways... use slots 1 and 3 regardless.. Hell throw some thermo heat spreaders on them if ya want since they look cool.

Thats about it... other then that ya dont need them on there to overclock...

Plus with that ram i think people can get it to 166 FSB but i dont know about turbo timings like cas2 4 way, 2-6-2 1T CPU command at Fast, Enhance Dram performace enabled... Might make it at cas 2.5 4 way, 3-6-3 2T

Anyways i would advise to download a memory tester called memtest86 v3.0 at memtest86 Install that onto a floppy buy running the installer and then boot your computer with that floppy in the floppy drive... If it can run like test 6 or 7 a few times then you should have no prob at that FSB speed.. So thats the best way to go about overclocking ram... That way you wont trash windows and have to reinstall.. Plus save your raid array if ya got one.

I am sure I can search for an answer to this but if you feel like replying, please tell me what the #-#-# is. I know about cas and 1-2T, but what are the other nums?

Thanks for the advice killer. I know crucial is the top of the line for oc, it should suite me well until I have a need to get some cosair.

Back