• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVidia broke 5000MB/s in Sandra with AMD!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

How did they do it?

They used the nForce2 along with some seriously stable DDR400 memory. They ran Dual Channel memory sticks and got the FSB running at 225MHz and the memory was at CL2.

So essentially, 128-bit 425MHz CL2.0, simply amazing.

Sandra reported 5058MB/s on the chart blowing everything out of the water.

Now, I only hope that mobo manufacturers use the reference design to hit these kinds of speeds. People have also been saying on news groups that the nForce2 can do 250MHz FSB stable, so essentially, the memory was not stable enough for this yet! ;)

Now imagine the above setup with 450MHz, very nice!

DS-Master

Nope, this was given to me in an Email from nVidia. I simply asked about the stability of nForce2 and how far nVidia was planning to push the chipset.

nVidia officially supports OVERCLOCKING. haha, they specifically stated this to me in the email hehe. BUT, they say it as third degrey which means that technically, not overclocking the Athlon cpu but rather the bus speed and chipset.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105896

Read me latest thread here and I explain how nVidia supports these crazy FSB and memory options. Hopefully, some people who are testing the prototype boards will come forward and throw us some screenshots of high end bandwidth.

DS-Master

Ok, the original nforce claimed 4200mb/s of memory bandwith I don't think anyone ever topped 3000mb/s with it.

Hopefully the nforce2 will be better.

Correct, 4200MB/s in theritical memory bandwidth but the real amount of bandwidth or realtime was only around 2000MB/s

nForce2 is 6400MB/s in theritical memory bandwidth and the real amount officially is supposed to be around 4000MB/s

nForce was designed for PC2100 CL2

nForce2 is designed for PC3200 CL2.

But very exciting to see what AMD can pull off here eh ;)

DS-Master

So its regular PC3200 on a 128 bit DIMM bus? Thats what dual channel DDR is is? If so, that means it should be able to keep its 90%+ effeciency rating...........:eek:

is it true that you have to use the integrated Graphic Unit on the Nforce2 in order to enable the Dual Channel DDR? if this is true, then we are stuck at the MX level IGU with game if we ever wanna use the DualChannelDDR.....humm, can anyone confirm this?

Kato said:
is it true that you have to use the integrated Graphic Unit on the Nforce2 in order to enable the Dual Channel DDR? if this is true, then we are stuck at the MX level IGU with game if we ever wanna use the DualChannelDDR.....humm, can anyone confirm this?

No!

Dual Channel DDR is enabled the instant two sticks of memory are inserted in the motherboard. Infact, the only possible way to disable Dual Channel is to populate Dimms 1 and 3 and leave dimm 2 empty or just have 1 stick of memory.

To justify your question, you dont even need to get intergrated Graphics on your nForce1/2, thats up to you. For most, the price premium of only $25 more for intergrated video, most will jump on this just to get an GF4 MX for only $25!

DS-Master

thanks DS:D
then i will wait for the Epox one with Nf2 then....that mobo got all the goodie with the Nf2, plus you get the standard high Vcore/Vmem on the epox as always...and as a bonus, AGP voltage adjustment too!!!:D

no more Vmod on the videocard:beer:

DS-Master said:

No!

Dual Channel DDR is enabled the instant two sticks of memory are inserted in the motherboard. Infact, the only possible way to disable Dual Channel is to populate Dimms 1 and 3 and leave dimm 2 empty or just have 1 stick of memory.

To justify your question, you dont even need to get intergrated Graphics on your nForce1/2, thats up to you. For most, the price premium of only $25 more for intergrated video, most will jump on this just to get an GF4 MX for only $25!

DS-Master

DS, what about this?

"Just like the original IGP, the nForce2 IGP supports a dual-channel DDR memory architecture that NVIDIA likes to call DualDDR (aka TwinBank). This 128-bit DDR memory bus gives the nForce2 the opportunity to exceed Intel?s 850E chipset in terms of raw memory bandwidth, but as we?ve seen before that only really matters when integrated graphics is enabled. With integrated graphics disabled, the second DDR channel is pretty much useless from a performance standpoint for the vast majority of scenarios"

This was taken from Anandtech.com Im not sure i understand it. I know theres a board without the IGP coming out but they didnt test that board, so im still wondering...

DS-Master said:
Correct, 4200MB/s in theritical memory bandwidth but the real amount of bandwidth or realtime was only around 2000MB/s

nForce2 is 6400MB/s in theritical memory bandwidth and the real amount officially is supposed to be around 4000MB/s

nForce was designed for PC2100 CL2

nForce2 is designed for PC3200 CL2.

But very exciting to see what AMD can pull off here eh ;)

DS-Master

Where is this AMD's doing?

regards,
larva

LOL

rambus is almost dead, look at there stock quotes hehe

makes me wanna cry for all the suckers that put stocks in.

btw, Dual Channel is always on regardless of whether you have intergrated graphics or not. All Anandtech was saying is that nForce2 intergrated graphics feeds up to twice the FPS with dual DDR compared to just a single stick.

Watch the video bro, it shows you how the nForce2 when paired with two sticks of DDR333 outperforms the KT333 with DDR333 (Spec for spec otherwise) by a whoppin 10% FPS in Quake3.

IMPRESSIVE!

what anadtech was saying is since athlon is not as memory bandwidth hungry as P4, the extra bandwidth is useless. If intgrated video is used, then that can use the extra bandwidth but for an AGP video card, it would be useless.
The athlon can use only 2100 Mbps at standard 133 fsb. So for athlon to use more bandwidth, you have to overclock the fsb.

I guess I will buy the Epox nforce2 mobo, XP1800, and some nice ram :) Its worth it if I can get a GeForce4 MX440 with it.

How much will this Mobo cost btw? 150?

Back