• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any OFFICIAL evidence CTL is better than DTL?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkMinion

Registered
Like many of you I ordered CTL from newegg and they shipped me DTL. I just got off the phone with a guy who claimed the DTL was just as good, claiming that the CTL being better was just a myth. He offered me a refund but I would have to pay shipping, even though it was their mistake.

I just did a search for CTL and read all the threads pertaining to CTL vs DTL. Although many individuals have better results I couldn't find any solid evidence of CTL being better that I could show to newegg. Have any webistes done a comparision of the two, or has there been an official statement by anyone that the CTL is better? I would like to have some proof with me the next time I call newegg. Hopefully then I can get a full refund.

Thanks for your help.

I think you are trying to ask for a refund based on something that is not guaranteed. If your dtl runs at 2700 cas 2.5 then it meets the spec's.

I doub't newegg will give you refund based on this even if you can find proof that ctl overclocks beyond spec better than dtl.

What I am looking for is proof the two are different. I ordered CTL and them denying me a refund because they say it is the same as DTL is absurd.

DarkMinion said:
What I am looking for is proof the two are different. I ordered CTL and them denying me a refund because they say it is the same as DTL is absurd.

no its not.

im not getting into another one of these arguments, but if the stick does 166fsb at 2.5-3-3 like rated, than they DO NOT have to refund anything, serial number difference or not.

since ive been an o/c'er, overclocking has always been a little skill, and a little luck.
lately everyone wants to get stuff that they know will o/c well.
u never KNOW if anything will o/c well, its a gamble.

what happened to teh good old days??

I also specifically ordered CTL and received DTL instead. In the middle of the RMA process now, but not optimistic about receiving CTL on the second go-around.

But I think that the point is that if you order a specific item (and the Newegg website did present this as CTL specifically) and you receive anything else, then you have every right to expect a full refund, including all shipping charges. At a minimum, Newegg could have sent an Email advising us of the apparent unavailability of the CTL version before shipping something we had not ordered.

If you ordered the memory before they added the statement that you may either get ctl or dtl and they offered you a refund then take it and if you feel newegg did you wrong then don't give them your business in the future.
Even the ctl with chips marked higher than 220 did not overclock on average as well as the earlier chips.
The part about trying to prove that ctl is better than dtl to someone could only mean overclocking and no place is going to give a refund based on overclocking capabilitys.

how do you tell if you got CTL or DTL? i checked on the chip and didn;'t see anythign

www.newegg.com has since resolved my issue, and went the extra mile for me! I am very satisfied and very appreciative of what they did. I take back all the negative i have said in the past. New egg is a great company that i have done alot of business with and will continue to do so in the future. Thank you new egg, you guys rock!! :beer:

Last edited:
Placid said:
If you ordered the memory before they added the statement that you may either get ctl or dtl and they offered you a refund then take it and if you feel newegg did you wrong then don't give them your business in the future.
Even the ctl with chips marked higher than 220 did not overclock on average as well as the earlier chips.
The part about trying to prove that ctl is better than dtl to someone could only mean overclocking and no place is going to give a refund based on overclocking capabilitys.

I've had great experiences with Newegg in the past and fully intend on using them as a vendor in the future, even if the "CTL" never makes to my doorstep. I was informed by their customer service rep that all shipping charges (including my own for the RMA'd product) would be fully refunded. But I did place my order when the CTL version was listed as a separate item, so the fault is with Newegg (which so far they have owned up to 100%).

Anyway ... way too much time spent on this topic as I'm sure you will agree.

you guys are too much.

it seems its not the CTL and DTL difference, its the batch dates.

if i were the guy at newegg........
/SMACK!

all that BS for nothing. i hope u didnt really talk like that to the guy, thats very rude and uncivilized.

how do you tell what type of chips you have? I didn't see any options in sandra to see and when I looked at the chips it didn't sat DTL or CTL.........bump

ATC9001 said:
how do you tell what type of chips you have? I didn't see any options in sandra to see and when I looked at the chips it didn't sat DTL or CTL.........bump

Its under mainboard information... Just start that up in sandra and scroll down and you will see it..

Malakai said:

no its not.

im not getting into another one of these arguments, but if the stick does 166fsb at 2.5-3-3 like rated, than they DO NOT have to refund anything, serial number difference or not.

since ive been an o/c'er, overclocking has always been a little skill, and a little luck.
lately everyone wants to get stuff that they know will o/c well.
u never KNOW if anything will o/c well, its a gamble.

what happened to teh good old days??

You are joking right? you are right about never knowing how it will do. But about ordering a part # and being shipped another is called bait and switch and it is ilegal. They went thru the trouble to seperate the parts on there website then they should ship what is ordered. if they do not then they better RMA it with full refund of shipping all ways. If you do not believe me call a lawyer or PM Flounder. sorry for the rant but it gets to me when someone is giving bad information. Just to clarify I am just comenting on you saying they do not have to refund anything.

Kendan said:

You are joking right? you are right about never knowing how it will do. But about ordering a part # and being shipped another is called bait and switch and it is ilegal. They went thru the trouble to seperate the parts on there website then they should ship what is ordered. if they do not then they better RMA it with full refund of shipping all ways. If you do not believe me call a lawyer or PM Flounder. sorry for the rant but it gets to me when someone is giving bad information. Just to clarify I am just comenting on you saying they do not have to refund anything.

so if a product being shipped is the same thing, just with a different serial number, than it still counds as shipping the wrong product???

if it does, than my mistake, disregard earlier post, ill edit it.

i still IMO think everyones being a bit overdramatic with the ram, its mre likely the batch dates than whether it is a CTL or DTL stick

ATC9001 said:
In Sandra - Look under Mainboard Information/Memory Modules- It will give you all the information.

Mine is the DTL-CB3 and it runs solid at 150fsb 3:4 200Mhz(DDR400) @2.7v; CL2.5-6-3-3, but above 150fsb I have to go with 1:1 and memory performance suffers even at CL2-5-2-2.

I'll just have to be happy with 2.7Ghz DDR400. :burn:

This is CTL
IT7175-234mem.jpg

Someone show me DTL anywhere near that.

Shad

If a vendor advertises a part with a particular serial number, they should ship with that number, otherwise they should just leave the number out of the description.
e.g. If I go to buy a Athlon XP cpu, I would want some of the AGIOA or whatever those good overclocking cores are called. If newegg (or any other vendor) says they are selling AGIOA, they should ship the same. Because I would not have bought from that place if they have not said specifically the code. It does not matter which code performs to what level in this case.

Back