• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best RAM for the buck??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rpckvv

ok guys, im gonna start ordering the parts for my rig on monday and i am still in the dark about memory...

for the longest while, i was gonna get some corsair pc3200 (512mb) until i saw that one could not overclock much more or even get better timings...

then i figured i'd get the pc3000 version, but its something like $180 at least at newegg...

then i remembered that all these higher speeds were actually overclocked pc2700, so i took a look at corsair, but its pc2700 w/ cas2 is 180 at newegg...

what memory would y'all recommend? i am looking at samsung, mushkin, kingmax...really everything (except ocz:D)...i've even found some samsung for 149 at googlegear, but i dont know if this is the stuff i should be getting...

i am looking for 512 megs of at least pc2700 that will be able to overclock somewhere near 200mhz (ie 185mhz and above) with relatively aggressive timings...

thanks guys

-peter

well if newegg gets teh CTL DTL thing straitened out, i'd buy the CTL samsung PC2700.

Well if he wants sticks that will goto 200FSS 400MHz then as you stated by talkin to the sales man at Mushkin those sticks there are ones that aint gettings to 200FSB..

Right now is a wierd time man in memory heheeh.. Lots going on and all cause of Samsungs newer chips aint doing what there older stuff used to do..

If ya want a sure shot at 200FSB then what i see is go Corsiar 512 or 256MB PC3000-3200 REV2.1 that uses newer winbond B chips. Though thats like the most expansive thing out there right now but it looks to go high then most peoples system can handle meaning later on down the road when the newer M/Bs come out with the KT400 chipset to support such speeds as 200+ FSB with a 6th divider (AMD system), then ya can really run with that stuff..

I'd say wait a week or 2 if you can and see what happends... Newegg prob will get to the bottom of the whole deal over the CTL and DTL... I hope they figure out how to put it in there add that they got it straight so we know forsure that everyone will get what they order. Also buy that time prices might drop back down.

Oh yeah.. everything being shipped out today from Corsiar is using the newest Winbond B chips so you shouldnt have a prob finding the right REV 2.1.. Also there uspposed to come out with a new stick called XMS PC3200 CAS2... so thats rated to run at a 200FSB=400MHZ at Cas2.

ALso the admin here is checking out some ExtremeDDR and he;s saying it has Samsung CTL chips on it so hehe thats what everyone wants, so he's testing it out.. So you also might want to wait and see what he finds out.

Sorry, didn't see the "200mhz" target...But we'll see when they get here..
I did get up to [email protected] with cas 2 with my samie dtl though..

Oh,btw, he said 1 out of 5 didn't pass.. So I have 20%chance of scoring a good one...

OnDborder said:
Sorry, didn't see the "200mhz" target...But we'll see when they get here..
I did get up to [email protected] with cas 2 with my samie dtl though..

Oh,btw, he said 1 out of 5 didn't pass.. So I have 20%chance of scoring a good one...

If ya got 192 at Cas2. why are you still lookin gfor more ram then?

I've got the samsung i've got right now 4 sticks of 256MB DTL all the way up to 190 at the slowest timings though... wasnt stable thogh meaning got it to boot but no 3D was possable. PLus that was just with one stick at a time.

I plan on playin' with winXP and do a little family photo editing.
I thought I read that it wouldn't hurt to have more ram with XP.
Besides, look at the bargain price of that stuff!
With a return policy like that?
Again, why not?
It beats the heck out of samie dtl @$90 for 256..

OnDborder said:
I plan on playin' with winXP and do a little family photo editing.
I thought I read that it wouldn't hurt to have more ram with XP.
Besides, look at the bargain price of that stuff!
With a return policy like that?
Again, why not?
It beats the heck out of samie dtl @$90 for 256..

Yeah it will if there Samsung REV C CTL chips.. Yeah well its also 512MB over the 256 samsung original.. Might be good if it will hit 200... Though with the date on the one in the pic they have shows 226... I have Samsung DTL with that code of 226 and they only hit 170 FSB but that is just max settings.. Plus those are CTL and hehe i'm sure prob are all differnet man. dates on them... good luck man.. Should be a fun ram to try!

azureblu12 said:
i just checked on www.pricewatch.com and u can get 256mb of crucial memory pc2700 for 69$ from a reputable company.... only i forget the name lol.... check it out at pricewatch

Now if that is true and its the real deal and not covered up ram with a heat spreader then yeah... nice deal there. But that could of been an old add on pricewatch.

Crucails stuff does overclock well from what i seen long time ago.. Not Samsung CTL standards but still decent anyway... Not sure if it got any better with newer revisions and stuff.

Back