• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram prices SUCK!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff Bolton

i'm kinda ticked!

i should have bought my ram this week rather than my motherboard. it was $175 last week. since i am buying my new computer components from paycheck to paycheck, i can only get one or two things at a time. this week i got the mobo and one hard drive, and i was planning on getting ram and soundcard when i get paid again in two weeks. well, now i see that the ram i want on newegg is up to freaking $230, this is just plain rediculous. that's almost as much as the damn processor itself.

i guess i'll finish getting the rest of the components and hope that ram goes down sometime soon and i'll get it when the price drops again :(

does anyone see a light at the end of this outrageous ram price tunnel?

jeff

What kind of RAM is this? That's a lot of $$$$$! I got 256 DDR Crucial for $80 in March. Boy, with that price, I would also wait it out... :eek: :D

The guy i talked to (manager of customer support) said that the prices might drop down soon... So yeah.. Might want to grab the ram last.. Plus corsiar is coming out wtih XMS 3200C2 stuff soon... Like i thought it was coming out on the 15th of this month occording to the ram guy at corsairs forum... but i guess its being held up for whatever reason.. THough he says soon... but wont give up any dates..

So with waiting not only will the prices drop(Hopefully) but some better stuff will be out..

Good luck with the future upgrade man.

Jeff i thought that the BD7 II - RAID was only capable of unoficially supporting pc 2700 ram?

If i am wrong then i just shot myself in the foot cause i just bought some mushkin pc2700 512MB of ram yesterday for $125 from mushkins site.
I was overclocking my 1.8a on a BD7II-Raid to 2.5ghz and that was with pc 2100 ram.

1.8A @2.5 (hopefully more with new ram)
Micron pc 2100 (256MB) , Mushkin pc 2700 (512) on the way!
ABIT BD7II-RAID
Cooler Master IHC-H71
2 entec 92mm case fans
4 80mm case fans
2 40g maxtor hds
digital doc 5
rehostat on the cooler master to quiet the loud ***** down at night.

mynihilism said:
Jeff i thought that the BD7 II - RAID was only capable of unoficially supporting pc 2700 ram?

If i am wrong then i just shot myself in the foot cause i just bought some mushkin pc2700 512MB of ram yesterday for $125 from mushkins site.
I was overclocking my 1.8a on a BD7II-Raid to 2.5ghz and that was with pc 2100 ram.

1.8A @2.5 (hopefully more with new ram)
Micron pc 2100 (256MB) , Mushkin pc 2700 (512) on the way!
ABIT BD7II-RAID
Cooler Master IHC-H71
2 entec 92mm case fans
4 80mm case fans
2 40g maxtor hds
digital doc 5
rehostat on the cooler master to quiet the loud ***** down at night.

No usually any motherboard out there that supports DDR can use any DDR out there... You wont get the 2700-333DDR speed unless you can overclock your system to do those speeds that the ram are capable of.

i doubt i would be able to max out the pc2700. without water cooling my cpu.

THANKS for the info, i had wondered about using ram not specificaly specified to run on the board.

mynihilism said:
i doubt i would be able to max out the pc2700. without water cooling my cpu.

THANKS for the info, i had wondered about using ram not specificaly specified to run on the board.

Well maybe but i know a guy well part owner of www.overdrivepc.com that is getting a great overclock with his P4 1.6a CPU at 2.7Ghz and he's using a stick of Corsiar XMS PC3200 512 with only the retail heatsink that came with the CPU on a Abit IT7 MAX.

the board i'm using BD7II-RAID is capable of 400 and 533 fsb.

the temp of my cpu at 2.5 with the stock heatsink on it was around 57C thats why i said i doubt i would be able to max out the pc2700 although i don't know what it will run at now with the cooler mast and my fans. so i'm a bit excited to get the new ram in.

Jeff Bolton said:
i'm kinda ticked!

i should have bought my ram this week rather than my motherboard. it was $175 last week. since i am buying my new computer components from paycheck to paycheck, i can only get one or two things at a time. this week i got the mobo and one hard drive, and i was planning on getting ram and soundcard when i get paid again in two weeks. well, now i see that the ram i want on newegg is up to freaking $230, this is just plain rediculous. that's almost as much as the damn processor itself.

i guess i'll finish getting the rest of the components and hope that ram goes down sometime soon and i'll get it when the price drops again :(

does anyone see a light at the end of this outrageous ram price tunnel?

jeff
yep it is getting way to rediculous. i bought my corsair 512/2700 xms ram on the morning of the 17th for $165.00. when i went to write review of how good the ram is running i checked and it's going for $208.00 now! i was like whoa! i saved a big whoping $43.00 by ordering on the 17th in the morning! the reason i keep stressing moring is because i checked later that day and it had gone up to 178.00 now its at 208!
:eek:

mynihilism said:
the board i'm using BD7II-RAID is capable of 400 and 533 fsb.

the temp of my cpu at 2.5 with the stock heatsink on it was around 57C thats why i said i doubt i would be able to max out the pc2700 although i don't know what it will run at now with the cooler mast and my fans. so i'm a bit excited to get the new ram in.

But the ram will be able to run at pc2700 with that fsb, right?

Jeff Bolton said:
this is top of the line 512mb corsair XMS3000...its bleeding edge ram, but the prices are still outrageous.

give us a break, guys./B]

As memory goes, that's dirt cheap. Ten years ago, you would have been paying around half a million dollars for equivalent memory. For 512 MB of plain old EDO SIMMs, you would have been looking at around $50,000.

well this isn't ten years ago and i'm glad! so that kinda gives me the right to be upset at a $50 overnight price hike.

and as memory goes, that really *isn't* cheap. i remember last august buying 256mb of pc133 crucial for $35...granted that isn't DDR, but DDR in retrospect was still cheaper back then.

jeff

Garfield said:

But the ram will be able to run at pc2700 with that fsb, right?
The BD7II-Raid has a 3:4 memory radio when set to low in the BIOS.

Setting fsb to 140X18=2.5Ghz with 3:4 ratio PC2700 you would be running @ 2X187Mhz=DDR374.;)

yeah at the beginning of this year i paid 53 bucks each for my two sticks of crucial pc2100. the raised up in price shortly after.

Back