• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinBond PC2700 vs Samsung PC2700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dance4Me

Registered
I have a choice of getting 512mb WinBond PC2700 for $225 CDN, or 512mb Samsung PC2700 for $239 CDN. Kinda sux that prices jumped $80 CDN on both these in the last 2 weeks, but what can you do about it? :) Note that the Samsung ram isn't truly by Samsung, chips are but PCB is by someone else. Still I've been told that doesn't matter, it's still a crazy overclocker.

Anyway I need ram that I'm sure will run at 200(400)mhz or more. At VR-Zone both can go over 200(400)mhz but I heard to get the Samsung to overclock that well you need luck. The WinBond seems to have no problems at all from what I'm reading. Well anyway, what do you guys think? Which would be a better choice for overclocking to 200(400)mhz with ease?

Thanks for the help.

I would go with the winbond if they are the "BH" and not "AH" chips. Otherwise make sure the samsung chips are the "CTL" not "DTL" rev.

Thats the million dollor question right now that everyone wants to know.. The jury is still out on this one. Though some have got to 200FSB= 400 MHz long ago with the Samsung Original sticks that had the CTL models that overclocked well.. Thats pretty hard to find right now cause Samsung is also making a newer model now (They claim is the same) called DTL Rev D chips... Anyways. Those are not the top dogs in overclocking anymore since there not consistantly getting 200 FSB... In my finding after testing 8 of those DTL sticks 4 from an early 0400 batch (0225) and 4 more from a 800+ batch (0227)... They all sucked... 5 out of the 8 got only 170 FSB with max timings and only 2 out of the 8 would go higher at 175FSB max timings.. 1 out of the 8 wouldnt do 166 at max settings... More testing i'm sure would of concluded that, that was a bad stick probably. Alaso the highest i could get the computer to boot with any of those sticks at the slowest timings was 190FSB. I only tested in 5's so it might of gone up to 191-194.

Those tests were taking with a KX7Raid AMD 2100+ unlocked and tested under 1700Mhz (to insure the CPU was not the prob in the testing). G3 TI200 and a 400 WATT Antec 403 model P/S. All tests used the max voltage i could use with the board 1.85v.

Max settings were:
cas2, 4 way, 2-6-2 1T, CPU command at fast

Slowest settings were:
cas 2.5, 4way, 3-6-3 2T, CPU command at normal

Now back to the Samsung chips your lookin at... Dont buy no name Sticks with Samsung chips.. Now you might get lucky but the PCB also makes the difference in overclock as the chips do.. The word out there is dont bother wasting your money.. you want Samsung Original... Thats what people are talking about when ya here about great overclocking with Samsung.. but remeber thats with Samsung Original with CTL REV C chips... Those are very rare... Some do find with the DTL chips though.. .Maybe in a Intel system they can do better then in a AMD system, who knows.

Corsair is basicly the only company i would go right now... With there newest memory out there using new Winbond rev B chips there consistantly hitting 200 FSB with the PC3000 and PC3200 Rev 2.1 sticks.. There expensive though... thats about the only downfall.

Most mem manufacturers out there that sell sticks at PC3000-Pc3200 that had heat spreaders are using Samsung chips on there high quallity PCB.. whcich are good... only prob is that even now there are 2 getting only Samsung DTL chips.. So thats not a great choice at this moment either.

The moderator of this forum just bought a stick of ExtremeDDR and he's saying its using samsung Rev C, CTL chips. He;s testing them out right now and is gona get back with us.. Now if that stick turnes out great... Then thats gona be the new king hehehe.. Mad rush to buy them sticks will be on the rise! Now maybe he got lukcy and where he bought it was just old stock that had CTL chips at the time who knows... Maybe just maybe Extreme is smart and is only putting Samsung CTL chips on there sticks.. Whichi very well could be... In any case, if the ExtremeDDR 3200 comes up gold... then that will be a great choice cause its cheap right now.

You should look down in this forum and find the thread that has eXtremeDDR in it for the full story.. i'm too tierd after all of that typing hehehe...

oh yeah good luck finding some corsair (in Canada) if thats the route your going to take... I have heard of atleast one place that someone found though there wasn't many..

Last edited:
xgman said:
I would go with the winbond if they are the "BH" and not "AH" chips. Otherwise make sure the samsung chips are the "CTL" not "DTL" rev.

You will know this on the Samsung chips by if the first line on the chip ends with C or D... on generic PCB sticks.

KnownKiller said:

You will know this on the Samsung chips by if the first line on the chip ends with C or D... on generic PCB sticks.

like this:
SAMSUNG
********C-TCB3.....or C-TCB3 <these are good for true 2700 or oc'd up to 3200.
Some of the C-TCB0 actually hit 200Mhz(pc3200)...........Not the D-TCB0 or D-TCB3.

-So......order the ram w/out the heatspreaders, and request the right code.(Good Luck)

This is interesting.
my samsung ram says ctl-cb3 close to whatt you're saying is good ram. Is it? hehe
so far I've only gotten to 172 with mediocre timings. After that I get a blue screen referring to an unexpected kernel, which then dumps the memory.
I'm also running tt active ddr cooling.
Do I need to up the voltage? I'm kinda scared to do that... that stuff is so spendy... and if ctl modules are so hard to get....

ottoaxel said:
This is interesting.
my samsung ram says ctl-cb3 close to whatt you're saying is good ram. Is it? hehe
so far I've only gotten to 172 with mediocre timings. After that I get a blue screen referring to an unexpected kernel, which then dumps the memory.
I'm also running tt active ddr cooling.
Do I need to up the voltage? I'm kinda scared to do that... that stuff is so spendy... and if ctl modules are so hard to get....

Is that Samsung Original or just samsung chips on someone elses stick? Samsung is strange memory... It needs a burn in to go faster. So you should try burning it in for awhile and see whats up... Either run Prime95 or Sandra's burn-in thing with just the mem bench selected or use Memtest86..

Alot of people also use high voltage on those samsung.. but i dont recomend it. Anything higher then what you are using could make the ram die after a while.. Like a week or 2 or like a month or 2.. Sometimes some people try 3.2 volts and the thing dies right there. But if ya got water cooling on that ram i think it should be able to withstand the higher heat wtih the hgiher voltage. So it might be fine to try.

yep its samsung original, I ddint get ripped there, at least its got the proper samsung logo on the sticker, up in the top left of it, with korea underneath that. I'm just using thermaltake active cooling right now. Have been thinking about liquid cooling it, shouldnt be too hard to do. Everything I'm hearing says the thermal take doesnt really help much.

My Xtreme PC3200 at 211 on a KX7
kx7san210_1.jpg

A friends at 215 on a KX7
Xtreme215.JPG

Lowly Samsung on an IT7
IT7175-234mem.jpg

Shad

Back