• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR HeatSpeaders- Do they really give you more MHz??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker456

If you have bought a Heatspeader for you DDR RAM please let us know how well it performed for you.. I'm not looking for lowest Temp on the RAM, but rather how much more performance you were able to get out of it.. thanks...

Starfox said:
no, not really.

nice reply...:rolleyes: What kind of memory did you install a heatspeader on that didn't overclock anymore than before.. PC2100?? PC2700?? thanks.. I personally don't think installing a heatspeader on PC2100 memory will do anything, but on PC2700 or more the cooling might help..

KnownKiller said:
I heard one guy say he got a whole 3Mhz more out of it... But that was ram guy from Corsair justifing the ram sinks on there ram.

hhmm.. I do have to say this.. It is a fact that when we add Ramsinks to video memory we don't get much of a increase, and in some cases none at all.. I've add ramsinks to about 25 video cards, and none overclocked more than 5MHz if even that. But I'm just looking for someone to say I have a heatspeader for my RAM and it didn't give me any more performance.. For the record the video cards that I add the Ramsinks range from a Geforce2-Radeon8500-G4-G3..

ummm I think so.
I should've done more experimentation, but my seat of the pants feel is that it was worth at least a few mhz. Unfortunately, I changed out my cpu at the same time. I'm now running much higher fsb speeds thanks to my agoia 1600, (172 mhz). I'm not a particularily experienced overclocker, but on this system the only blue screen I've ever gotten says something about an unexpected kernel and then dumps the physical memory. That sounds like a mem issue to me but I'm not sure. I got that earlier with a 145 fsb and aggressive timings, and now get that at 174 with mediocre timings. I deduct from that that my tt active cooler is helping, but it would be a little tough to remove now.
Would like to push higher, but not sure how to.

ram sinks really make give you no real performance gain.
they just look pretty

ram doesn't really even get that hot, only RAMBUS,

so no, if you have good airflow in your case they are really
uneccasary and won't gain you more mhz if any at all.

I added the ram sinks with the fan built on and was very disapointed in that i didnt even see a single mhz increase. i must admit it does look cool but if i had it to do over i wouldnt bother hehe.

i have a dual so adding didn't help because FSB is already hard to push but it just seems like the right thing to do. i run SETI 24/7 until i died yesterday but thats a different story. you put a HSF on you processor when it gets hot so why not on your ram also. but on the other hand i got a second stick of crucial and i dodn't get the spreador because the others fan is abover it.

Yeah after tryin out 3 sticks of Mushkin ram i want the spreaders on my next ram..heheh Thank god it comes with them so i dont have to buy it.

They do look sweet... Plus if its like silver color or white, the light will refect off of it if ya have a light mod in your case.

KnownKiller said:
Yeah after tryin out 3 sticks of Mushkin ram i want the spreaders on my next ram..heheh Thank god it comes with them so i dont have to buy it.

They do look sweet... Plus if its like silver color or white, the light will refect off of it if ya have a light mod in your case.

Did you see a difference in performance?? Or just looks??

In this review he only gets about a 10C difference even with the active cooling on the heat spreaders, so imagine how little difference passive cooling heat spreaders would give ya. IMO, I don't think you'll see a difference.

Back