• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

For Those Using my Queue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Our cable went out this afternoon from around 2 until just a while ago. Looks like it's back, but I have no idea what they're doing at the head end. My IP is still the same for the time being.

Erm, I think ISP's has gotten alot worst when @home when backrupt. My ISP has lowered cap speeds to 1500/192 without even telling us and the price is still the same. We're not getting what we paid for!

You're not kidding. Around 1996 I went from dial-up to bonded ISDN, and then around '98 I tried DirecPC satellite. Satellite had awesome download speeds compared to anything I could get at the time, but the pricing plan was horrible. I think they eventually got sued over that. Anyway when cable was new there was no download or upload cap. Downloads were routinely 3-4Mbps. Then as they expanded service they capped it at 1.5 down and 768 up, but downloads were still around 2 up until @Home went under. Now Charter is using AT&T and Quest for their internet trunk, and the local speeds are never higher than 1.5 down, and 300up. Email has been the most affected aspect of the service. I swear these people have no clue what they're doing. They send out notices that an "upgrade" will be done on a certain date, and our service ends up going out for 2 days, and when it comes back on it's worse than before. I get timeouts when trying to send and receive almost all the time. If I didn't know any better I'd say they're running email on a laptop with a 10Mb half-duplex pcmcia nic.

im using your No-ip addy so that shouldnt be a problem, im uploading fine as we speak.

Id watch your complaining about your internet access around me
*pats the 56k modem*

might be going ADSL soon, the plans have gotten a little better over the past few months in my area :)

lonewolf1983 said:
im using your No-ip addy so that shouldnt be a problem, im uploading fine as we speak.

Id watch your complaining about your internet access around me
*pats the 56k modem*

might be going ADSL soon, the plans have gotten a little better over the past few months in my area :)
Heck my parents are thinking about dropping cable and going back to 56k. They just don't use the net enough to justify $55 a month. I can't imagine going back to something slower. Once you get the speed you're hooked, and it makes the net not only more pleasant to use, but powerful. I do so many things online that I never considered when I was on a pots line.

TC said:
Heck my parents are thinking about dropping cable and going back to 56k. They just don't use the net enough to justify $55 a month. I can't imagine going back to something slower. Once you get the speed you're hooked, and it makes the net not only more pleasant to use, but powerful. I do so many things online that I never considered when I was on a pots line.

Yea my bro is still using NetZero since he only uses the net to check the news and sports. 55.00 a month for cable? I pay 45 w/ cable modem rent CANADIAN.

When I had my modem replaced, the company (Rogers), told me if they weren't able to fix the problem I had to take my own actions. I phone around and the DSL here was full and other companies couldn't provide it since the main service was full and it had to go through that pipe line unless I ordered my own line which wouldn't be worth it because it cost more than the service itself. ISDN was triple the amount of cable, and ADSL wasn't for residential services.

I couldn't imagine going back to dialup. I was freaking out when my cable was knocked out for 3 days. I mean I format so much that I'd spend more time downloading updates for Windows than these forums.

ISDN is still over priced here - I think they're trying to force people to adopt newer services. ADSL doesn't offer the same download speeds, but charges the same. My parents rent their modem, but I bought mine. They could cut their bill to $40, but they only use the computer about 2-3 times per week. That's kind of nuts that they told you you were on your own if they couldn't figure out a problem. Hell I would tell them if they can't make it work, then you don't pay until it does. I hate losing service. I don't fully realize how much I use it until I'm out. Today I was thinking - okay, well I'll go do something else - ah damn that uses the net too!! Ok, well I'll just check on this - ah crap I need the internet to do that too! ahhhhh So I ended up cutting the grass and taking the dogs for a walk. I was offline for that :D

I am still on dial up its not just the $40 a month you still can't get rid of your phone line so thats $23 and our cable company wont let you get the service without TV service too. Basic is $9.99 so thats $73 a month not $40 as advertised. For $75 on satelitte you can get every channel on the dish. On cable you get 12 channels and crippled speed internet.....
I'll stick with dialup for now

TC said:
ISDN is still over priced here - I think they're trying to force people to adopt newer services. ADSL doesn't offer the same download speeds, but charges the same. My parents rent their modem, but I bought mine. They could cut their bill to $40, but they only use the computer about 2-3 times per week. That's kind of nuts that they told you you were on your own if they couldn't figure out a problem. Hell I would tell them if they can't make it work, then you don't pay until it does. I hate losing service. I don't fully realize how much I use it until I'm out. Today I was thinking - okay, well I'll go do something else - ah damn that uses the net too!! Ok, well I'll just check on this - ah crap I need the internet to do that too! ahhhhh So I ended up cutting the grass and taking the dogs for a walk. I was offline for that :D

That's how I felt when the cable was down too. Everything I wanted to do on the comp involves the internet! I ended up sleeping.

Back