• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

samsung 2700 512mb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cronic

Registered
i'm about to haul off and buy an epox 8k3a motherboard, and i've heard that samsung 2700 512mb chips work very well with them. i've also read that many ram sticks claim to be samsung but just use samsung chips, and this is supposedly a bad thing(?) because of my lack of knowledge on the subject, i'm inclined to ask, is this something i need to look out for? do i need to make absolutely certain that i'm buying the real thing, so to speak? if so, how can i tell? i found some samsung 512 2700 at googlegear.com, will that suffice? i've read many positive reports on this kind of memory, and a few not-so-positive, but it seems the majority of the praises came from owners of the epox 8k3a, so that's probably what i'm going to go with, despite the bad publicity. also, the people i found the cheapest price on the epox board is a company i've never heard of: bunta.com. anybody heard of them? i'm kind of uneasy about ordering from an off the wall company, but i'm also not entirely sure i wanna fork over the extra 20 bucks to buy from a reputable company like newegg. thanks, any feedback would be most appreciated

Samsung

Yeah, it seems the inital release of genuine Samsung PC2700 were some really awesome ram sticks, getting up to 200 FSB. But then something changed in the manufcturing process and the current sticks are usually only good for 166-170's FSB. It is important to get Samsung ram that's made by Samsung, some third party stuff is just as good and some is not. So why risk it?

Unfortunately ram prices just shot up in the last week, so alternatives like Corsair are really expensive, but you might also have good luck with Mushkin PC3000 without it gouging your pocketbook too much.

Re: Samsung

Arkaine23 said:
Yeah, it seems the inital release of genuine Samsung PC2700 were some really awesome ram sticks, getting up to 200 FSB. But then something changed in the manufcturing process and the current sticks are usually only good for 166-170's FSB. It is important to get Samsung ram that's made by Samsung, some third party stuff is just as good and some is not. So why risk it?

Unfortunately ram prices just shot up in the last week, so alternatives like Corsair are really expensive, but you might also have good luck with Mushkin PC3000 without it gouging your pocketbook too much.

Mushkin isint happing right now either... There using Samsung DTL chips right now.. There in the process of shopping around for something better to use.

I just sent back 2 sticks of 256MB PC3000 and a stick of what they claim is there top of the line 2100 High Perf Level 2 cas2 2-2-2 512MB. The 2100 which they told me is there best and first choice at reaching 200 FSB did not do 166 stable at max timings. Also the PC3000 could only do 170FSB at max timings just as the Samsung DTL (8 sticks 256MB) would only do.

So right now isint really the time to buy period. Only hope is that that stick of eXtremeDDR 3200 is good stuff... Seriousinksam i think his name is...the mod on this board just bought a stick of it and says its CTL samsung.. THough he hasnt got back with us yet to tell us how it does... My thery is that it wont do any better then the DTL samsung... thinking that the older Samsung CTL was the best.

So if ya got some cash to blow... Buy some Corsair CMX 3200 or the 3000 Cas2.. Though i wouldnt doubt it if on monday the price will reach 250 on those 512 sticks hehehe...

memory

I did order a 512mb stick of Corsair XMS PC3200 just a couple of days ago. It had shot up $45 in price on newegg, where I was ordering some other hardware, so i checked pricewatch and found it at another certified Corsair dealer where it was still $179. The enxt day I checked the prices again and it had gone up to $205 where i ordered from, so I got my order in under the wire. Should get it in the mail in a few days. :D Hope it does well in a KX7333r.

Re: memory

Arkaine23 said:
I did order a 512mb stick of Corsair XMS PC3200 just a couple of days ago. It had shot up $45 in price on newegg, where I was ordering some other hardware, so i checked pricewatch and found it at another certified Corsair dealer where it was still $179. The enxt day I checked the prices again and it had gone up to $205 where i ordered from, so I got my order in under the wire. Should get it in the mail in a few days. :D Hope it does well in a KX7333r.

Same here man... I'm gona throw it in a Abit KX7R as well... GOt 2 sticks coming.. hopefully by tuesday.

memory

Just the one stick for me. And once I have the KX7, it'll be a 3-way shoot-out between Corsair PC3200 (which I expect to stomp the competition), a 256mb stick of OCZ rev3 PC2700, and a 256mb stick of Kingmax PC2700. The loser gets to go into my dad's new mild-OC'd rig. The middle-of-the-road stick will be kept for emergency use and later sold to a friend. And the Corsair will be for the KX-7.

I'd test the 2 sticks I have now, but my motherboard will not do over 148 FSB with any ram as of yet. I will make a thread and post the results of this shoot-out, although I kinda have a good idea of how things will turn out... but who knows, maybe the OCZ will surprise me.

Re: memory

Arkaine23 said:
Just the one stick for me. And once I have the KX7, it'll be a 3-way shoot-out between Corsair PC3200 (which I expect to stomp the competition), a 256mb stick of OCZ rev3 PC2700, and a 256mb stick of Kingmax PC2700. The loser gets to go into my dad's new mild-OC'd rig. The middle-of-the-road stick will be kept for emergency use and later sold to a friend. And the Corsair will be for the KX-7.

I'd test the 2 sticks I have now, but my motherboard will not do over 148 FSB with any ram as of yet. I will make a thread and post the results of this shoot-out, although I kinda have a good idea of how things will turn out... but who knows, maybe the OCZ will surprise me.

hehe well i cant tell ya my idea...

1. Corsair
2.OCZ
3.Kingmax

So ya should just save ya the time now and throw the kingmax in his rig hehe... j/k

Have fun testing them man! I had 2 sticks of kingmax 2700 -5ns though i could not test them fully before i had a KT333 motherboard cuase i fried them by accident.. All i did was install them in a epox 8K3A+ m/b and they died on me as soon as i made it in the bios on the first boot.. Dont know why... never will. All i can think is that someone else had that board before me or someone at the manufacturer decided to fry someones ram by setting the dimmvolts to 3.2.. I couldnt do anything about it though cause i put my own custom heatsinks on them before so.. No ones gona warrtenty them in that condition.

thanks for all the responses, i hadn't even checked ram prices prior to last night's post. the last time i looked, they were a lot cheaper than they are now, so maybe i should hold off to see if the prices level out a bit over the next month or so. if not, i guess i'll jus bite the bullet and get some of that corsair xms stuff, since i've never seen a single negative comment about it. should i get the cas 2.5 xms 3200 stuff or the cas 2 3000? i don't know jack about timings and all that, is there an online resource i can peruse through to get a better understanding of them? i mean, what on earth is 2.5-3-3-t2 mean? thanks :p

Memory

Those are various latency timings for certain ram operations. Setting those numbers lower in the bios generally provides better performance, although maybe a little less FSB.

Here's something to look at, although I don't know how much this ram costs. Certainly less than Corsair though. ;)

Back