• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Conflicts between two different size sticks of ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krobic

Greets,

I'm currenly running 256 megs of PC2700 DRR333 Kingston ram, and I'd like to grab another stick of 512. I'm using a MSI KT3 Ultra motherboard running Windows 2k Pro. Would having two different size sticks cause any conflicts, or have any performance flaws? What about different bands? What if I got a stick of 512 Samsung? Or would my best bet be to just get another stick of 256 Kingston?

Thanks,
Krobic

Most likely will not not like eachother... more then not that will happen puttin to different brands together.

If ya want more memory buy another stick of that kingston stuff... you should have no probs throwin a 512 in with a 256... If there is a prob might just need to swap the sticks around in different dimm slots till its fine.. just buy the exact same stick in 512.. Or if ya dont like what that stick is doing for ya right now meaning overclocking wize then just grab a stick of the Corsair CMX PC3200 512... Though its expensive its the best ya can buy right now imho.. THough with the prices as they are now... and ya need more ram now just settle with getting the same as ya got now and put them together..

ususally ya want to put the bigger stick in front of the smaller one.

sometimes i have alot of ram laying around. sometimes they work, sometimes they dont. sticking with the same brand is always best. buying another brand is gambling, but it might work, but i wouldnt take the chance.

Back