• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More crunching power!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. $T$

I just got a hold of a 866 pIII and it is nice to have a other computer for lan games also it aint bad for CRUNCHING it takes about 20 hours for it to process one wu and my 1600+ does it in 5 but it is more power for OC.com:D

Somethings wrong with this - my P3 850 laptop takes 8-9 hours, and laptops are known for horrible memory timings, so it's even slower than an 850 desktop machine.

I bet it's the motherboard. What kind is it? A motherboard really yields a computer performance and no settings in the bios would hold it back 10 hours! My P3 500 crunched units in 10 hours..

20hr for a PIII866 IS slow unless it's running the screen saver client!!

my PIII550@733 (133fsb) do it 'bout 8 1/2hr.
a PIII650 (100fsb) 'bout just under 12hr.
the new PIII-M 850 laptop (a SONY model) finish one 'bout 6 3/4hr.
(those ultra thin low power one that i've been dreaming of especially w/ my wireless network....and imagining browsing the forum w/ a ice cold tea sitting at my deck....;) )

biostar mobo was not my choice but it was free
:p

it sometimes takes longer than that

It has 256 SDRAM

:eh?: Command line?

I know it is not the 'only run in screen saver mode' thing because it runs 24/7

Mr. $T$ said:
:eh?: Command line?

I know it is not the 'only run in screen saver mode' thing because it runs 24/7

Sounds like you're running the screen saver version.
The Command Line Client (CLC) is much, much faster. My PIII 850mhz laptop does 1WU in about 8:30-9 hours.

Here's a link to a page on the team's site that explains setting up the CLC and a couple other programs for cacheing WUs and monitoring your progress. That page will get you on the right track.
If you run into any problems just let us know, and you're sure to get a solution for one of us.

would also look at power management, memory timing, and swap file setting (set at a specific value)... also set your "system performance" to "network server"... all those little things add up to a lot of preformance increase if they are not already configured...

good luck!!!

Back