• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth getting 512mb over 256?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlwnSS

Registered
I've decided on the Corsair XMS PC3000 and not really sure if I want to drop the coin for 512mb.

My plans are Epox 8k3a, XP2000+

What do you think?

Thanks.

Rick

If you run winxp and high end games 512 is probably a good idea.
You can try 256mb and see how it goes and add another 256mb later if needed. One advantage to using 2x256mb is if you decide to switch to a dual channel board like the nforce2 when they come out you will already have two sticks.

Well I have 2x256 now. I was testing my friends 1x256 in it once and I didn't get any better 3d marc score. I gues for really detailed games that use a lot of ram you might want it but if you have a gf3 or gf4 you should be fine with 256. only go 512 if you need it and if you have the money I say.

-Shaun

I just ordered 512mb Corsair XMS PC3200 for $199 at www.Googlegear.com. They were $31 cheaper than newegg.

Also ordered today:

Athlon XP 2000+
Epox 8K3A
Swiftech MCX462U heatsink with Panaflo 80mm fan (40cfm@32db)

Along with my GF4 ti4400, SB Xgamer 5.1, I should be good to go! :D

I noticed a big difference with 512 mainly after i would close a game and start mutlitasking then open it back up again...It would be extremely slugish after i quit a second time! If you don't ind restarting your computer after you exit a game or do a heavy work load then save the cash, but i'm very impatient and hate it when my music has to stop for a restart :D

I noticed enough to wonder if I should upgarde to 1 gig...but the consensus from this my post seems that it's not noticeable for what I do.

ATC9001 said:
'89 camaro heatercore,

LOL for real?

I had to add a little to my sig too. ;)

My current rig is a tbird 900, 512mb PC133 samsung. I noticed a difference with 512 a little from 256.

I just figured since the ram I was getting was SO much faster than my PC133, I wasn't sure if I'd need it.

As you can see, I said "F**k it", and went all out.
:burn:

Just to make sure you understand...It's the heatercore from a '89 camaro that I have not the car! :p

1 gig DDR(2x512mb) much better than anything less than that... and u can always plan to get another stick if u just want one stick (1x512mb) for the time being.
:)

ATC9001 said:
Just to make sure you understand...It's the heatercore from a '89 camaro that I have not the car! :p

Yeah, you're using it as a radiator for your comp correct? I just thought it was funny. Ingenious also.

Back